412, no casterz?

heavision

I think Friedman---and I'm sure others---make their 412s with no casters. Is there a sonic reason for this? Or some other reason? Just curious. Seems strange to me. I can't imagine lugging around a 412 without wheels.

Last edited:

heavision

I have a Bogner 412 with removable ones. Works great. I totally agree they are a must. I, for the life of me, can't think of a reason they'd make 412s without them. But I fully expect someone to chime in with some wisdom and we'll all say "ooohh, I see, yeah, makes sense."

Bass response?? Even on casters my 4x thumps like a freight train
Yeah, they don't need to be on the floor to enhance the bass response. Putting the speaker cabinet or combo amp on the floor is more for smaller ones, if you do want more thump out of it, by using the floor's direct resonance with the speaker/s. But it can also get muddy like that, which is why hi-fi speakers are kept a little away from corners in rooms.

Rick Lee

I was gonna start a thread on this, but will just jump in here. I have a newish Mojotone 4x12 straight cab sans casters. I use a furniture dolly when hauling to gigs. But I'm considering installing casters. I'd like them to be removable, but I'm not dropping $28/per for the Marshall-style ones and I doubt the Mesa sliding/locking ones are any cheaper. Ernie Ball makes kits that run around $30 for all four and are rated for 70 lbs/corner. Anyone have some other suggestions?

Flogger59

Orange, jusy wooden slides, no wheels. And from a friend's experience working for their distributor, they get quite irate at the suggestion that holes be drilled for casters. Quite irate.

drewl

I was gonna start a thread on this, but will just jump in here. I have a newish Mojotone 4x12 straight cab sans casters. I use a furniture dolly when hauling to gigs. But I'm considering installing casters. I'd like them to be removable, but I'm not dropping $28/per for the Marshall-style ones and I doubt the Mesa sliding/locking ones are any cheaper. Ernie Ball makes kits that run around $30 for all four and are rated for 70 lbs/corner. Anyone have some other suggestions?

Think I paid around $20 for a set I used on an old Sound City cab I trash picked.
Got them from MCM/Newark, I believe.

Never got around to trying to find a set of the odd Hoda casters that go on my 70's marshall 1960 A cab.

sickboy79

IMO, the caster vs no caster thing really depends on the cab. Yes, in general it does add some more bottom end and fullness to the sound. But, some cabs are designed to sound very bottom heavy and removing casters can make that even more so that may or may not be pleasing to your ears.

deepcove17

Base response...I remove the casters from my Marshall slant cabs....kept them on my B cab with G12-65's....cause plenty of bottom end there already.

woof*

We always took them off.
I don’t remember anyone stacking their Marshall cabs with wheels on them.

Trending Topics