45 to 30 Watt Amp too much for home?

Jimmy 3

Hi Everyone,

Maybe a topic posted here before . . . so a twin amp that goes from 45 watt class AB to 30 Watt class A (pending the mode you select) . . . that has a master volume control . . . . is that too much for home use? Think you can get good tone @ low volume? A boutique amp

Your thoughts please : )

Thanks,
Jimmy

cugel

Get an attenuator. Problem solved. That said if my speakers aren't working mytone ain't either. Not a fan of bedroom or.apartment volumes. If the master is OK then go with that instead of an attenuator

zenas

Really depends on what you want. I use a Twin Reverb at home all the time no master or attenuator. If you want dirty a 5 watt amp gets loud enough cranked to piss off the wife and maybe neighbors.
But really it depends on you.

Geeze

Dang, talk about a polarizing topic! Next you'll want to know if Marshalls ARE better than Fenders or any of those lesser circuits! ;)

I'm in the big amp camp with a good MV or pedals if the amp is NMV - I have one and I love it at low volume. I don't own anything smaller than a 50 watt. EVERYTHING low is a compromise as it violates the laws of rock n roll and physics. Pick the poison that makes you happy.

Russ

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I happily play a jtm45 or Twin Reverb around the house for excellent clean tones and can crank up a tweed Champ enough to piss off the wife in the other room. So... 5 watts can be too loud and 100 can be just right, all in the same house.

Paranoidsam

I have a 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe, and I'm getting really sick of it.... Its too loud for most of the gigs I play, let alone home use. Its fine if you like using pedals. If not, then its a choice between deafening volume, or a sub-par drive channel. I've never found a drive pedal I can 100% get along with... Something about that sort of wooshy sound you get in the background and the way the harmonics all clash when you play a chord does my head in. So its amp tone for me all the way. Of course, there are plenty of amps in this power range with decent drive channels, just the Hot Rod is a bit crap.

Yes, attenuators do allow you to crank the clean channel at reasonable volumes. But, I've always found them underwhelming to be honest.

Right now, I'm eyeing up a bunch of different 15 watters... Fender Blues Junior, Vox AC15C1, Laney VC15, Marshall DSL15 etc. All master volume amps. So far the Blues Junior is winning the argument, simply for having the classic Fender tone I love.

lgehrig4

Not for me. I think the answer lies in your home, people you live with and neighbors more than the wattage.

Miles

Hi Everyone,

Maybe a topic posted here before . . . so a twin amp that goes from 45 watt class AB to 30 Watt class A (pending the mode you select) . . . that has a master volume control . . . . is that too much for home use? Think you can get good tone @ low volume? A boutique amp

Your thoughts please : )

Thanks,
Jimmy
WAY too much for me. When I think of home use, I think of volumes that I can talk over all the way down to volumes that are characterized by "STFU - The baby's sleeping!!". :)

My 30 watter is hanging out unplugged. I play a Roland Cube at home. Sweet tones are achieved and I'm not burning through my tubes. Also, at those volumes, I'm not scrutinizing tone quality as I would in a live band setting. I'd dare to say that amps like the Cube sound a lot better than a 30 watter that's at a control setting it's not meant to be judged or used at. The word 'amplifier' becomes moot. It's writing ideas at home and rehearsing them for the rehearsal room or gig.

Phletch

Whether it's 10 or 100 watts, it can be too loud or "quiet enough" for the home depending on where you set the volume knob. I think just about any amp can sound good at any volume, the exception being those NMV amps where the volume has to be at a certain level in order to give up the goods and you don't want to use pedals to get OD at reasonable sound levels. Regardless, to me, all amps, whether set for clean or dirty, sound their best when the sound levels are high enough to get the speaker(s) working and get that interaction between the guitar and amp, or more specifically, the pickup(s) and the speaker(s). Everything else is a compromise.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I assume you need it for other things besides home, right? :bonk

The key is how well that master volume works. My guess is that on a boutique amp it would work pretty well, but it depends on the amp, and you and what you would consider good sound at low volume. If you want break up, it becomes more of a challenge, but not unsolvable.

My boutique amps with master volumes, an Allen Accomplice and a Carr Sportsman, work very well for me.

jimijimmyjeffy

Depends on the amp. My 40 watt hotrod deluxe sort of works at home but is a pain. My 40 watt Dirty Shirley works much better at home, as it has a much better master volume.

If I was just a home player, I might want a smaller, weaker amp. But I like to play out too, so for me the 40 watt DS is a good compromise. It's still a little bit much for home, but the great master volume makes it work.

And the bigger iron actually has its advantages even at bedroom volumes. The sound is in one way bigger that it would be with a lower wattage amp turned up higher, even though the circuit isn't being challenged. So in a strange way too much amp is even better for quiet volumes, as you can still take advantage of the "big iron" factor. The sound is somehow "bigger".

I found an attenuator unnecessary, as the master is so good on a DS, it's not worth the extra hassle.

So I would say the most important factor for home playing, if you want to play out too, is having a good master. Otherwise tiny and low wattage amps work too, and you can get more tone from their power sections.

Hotrods have notoriously bad masters, and are therefore not so good at home, though I did use it that way and it wasn't completely awful or anything. It still can be done.

At this point I would never trade my Shirley for another smaller amp for home. Having both in one amp is to be the most desired scenario, though some would disagree.

slybird

I use three 50 watt amps in WDW at home. The amps are in the living room.

For me the problem isn't low volume, they all sound great at low volume.

The real problem is that I am too often tempted to play them louder then I should in the middle of the night. I have pissed off my neighbors and SO way I too often.

Serenity

I used to pi$$ off my whole neighbourhood cranking my JCM800 2203 at home. It was my only amp and they just don't sound that good at low volumes. Now i'm a lot older and a lot more considerate, i have a 5 watt Laney Lionheart i use for home practice but i still can't crank it most of the time, fortunately it does sound good at low volumes too. I'm just thankful for the Fryette Power Station, i can now use my big Marshalls at home volumes without losing the tone.

Trending Topics