490R/498T vs. '57 Classic pups in SG Standard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Burstbucker, Dec 21, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Exactly! I just ignore people who question why you are opening an old thread! Ha. People. Ugh....

To me the 57 Classic are just bland and weak. I love the fillness, punch and character of the 498/490. Superb clarity with high gain.

aynirar27 likes this.
  2. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

My ideal setup would be a 57 in neck 498T in bridge.

Dannyz and seward like this.
  3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It's funny - I never liked the 498T in a regular Les Paul, but a few years back I got one of those GC Junior-Specials that was stock with a single 498T, and I loved how it sounded in that guitar. I got another Special with dual humbuckers, swapped the stock bridge pickup to a 498T, and loved it there too. So from my experience, both with the 2007 SG I talked about earlier and the two Specials, the 498T shines in a solid mahogany guitar.

If I ever do decide to upgrade my current SG and remove the bridge 57 Classic, this is probably the way I'll go.

JackS2 and Hefalump like this.
  4. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

We should just keep this thread going for another 5 years (minimum)!!!

JackS2 and aynirar27 like this.
  5. Paul Rathjen

Paul Rathjen Member

I hate the 498 and 500 in everything but an SG. They sound good in an SG. In anything else, especially heavy Les Pauls I find them really really muddy. But I still like the 57 and 57+ more.

JackS2 likes this.
  6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I did not like the stock 490/490 combo much in my SG standard. But that's my taste, not yours. It sounds like you do appreciate them. Maybe better not to generalize. Listen to this one guitar awhile, and see if you're reacting to anything more than the easy availability of pickups you liked in other guitars.

7. Shiells

Shiells Member

It just comes down to your tastes, but you can probably switch them up at a later date if your tastes change.

To me, the '57 Classics are one of very few Humbuckers that I actually like, but I tend to like them a lot more on semi-hollows and hollow bodies. But if I were choosing between those two sets for a solid body I would still use the '57s because they match my play style better.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Well, never say never - today, I installed a chrome covered 498T into my SG Standard, mating it with the stock 57 Classic neck pickup. I really do like the extra output and girth that the 498T brings to this SG, and I was surprised how good it sounds with the 50s wiring I have in that guitar (I replaced the PCB). I was also surprised by the volume difference between the 57 Classic neck and the 498T - gonna have to raise the neck pickup a little bit. Sure it's honeymoon phase, but I think this is going to work out perfectly.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Dannyz likes this.
  9. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Member

Reviving an old thread once again! I have had a 2016 Faded SG for a little less than a year. Acoustically, loud and balanced, amplified, thin. Has the stock 490T/R set. Been searching for a pickup set to compliment this guitar and finally found it....Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set. Really works well in this guitar as it doesn't have an overabundance of low end and helps thicken the tone just the way I was hoping for. Thumbs up!

b80 likes this.
  10. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I'd get good quality 500k pits in her first, then revisit the pup swap if I wasn't satisfied afterwards. I liked the 490r/490t set in my SG with good wiring.

I ended up going HB sized P90 though.

11. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Member

For some reason, pickups loaded with alnico II magnets never really resonate with me. Usually, I find the bottom end underwhelming and somewhat mushy. I tend to gravitate more towards alnico 5 and 4 pickups for bridge applications (and some ceramics for higher output pickups).

b80 likes this.
  12. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I've had both and I much prefer the 57 Classics.

13. b80

b80 Member

Same here. I cant seem to bond with Alnico II pickups.
    I, too, own a Gibson SG Faded and went through the same deal with pickups. The Rio Grande was recommended to me, but I ended up with a Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge and I think it's a great fit.

Mike Dresch likes this.
  14. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

It's an odd notion to me as well. If we didn't post about things that have already been posted we would no longer be able to post at all because everything has been previously posted.

15. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I ran the stock harness with 490R/498T pickups in my SG Standard and was very happy for quite some time. I switched to a 500k harness with a Pearly Gates neck and Classic 57 bridge. I'm happy with that too. The 57 isn't quite as aggressive and that suits me just fine.

I'm keeping the 498T though and I would have no problem using a 490R again. I accidentally ruined mine while attempting a magnet flip and used a Pearly Gates I had lying around as a substitute.

Dannyz likes this.
  16. Mit

Mit Member

It says on the gibson site under specs that they use 500k pots? Did they change from 300k to 500k some time ago or are they still using 300k in reality.

17. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I had a 490/498 set in my SG. I loved the 498, but hated the 490 (I can’t stand A2....way too mushy for my taste), so they had to go.

18. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I threw in a set of Tom Holmes unpotted. Perfect!:hide2

Zeppe likes this.
  19. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I do like the 57 Classics though.:phones

20. Zeppe

Zeppe Member

I am generally not a fan of either but the 57 Classics kind of work in an ES-335 (490 does not).