498T/490R vs Burst Bucker Pro Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Austintone, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Austintone

Austintone Member

Hey guys, can anyone shed some light on the differemce between these pickups? I have a 2001 Les Paul Standard that came stock with the 498T/490R pickups, and I know that in 2002 they started using the Burst Bucker Pro series. Just curious about the tonal differences. Thanks in advance!

2. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

Burstbucker Pros are lower power with greatly enhanced highs and upper mids. A bit shrill to my ears.
    The 490's are a kind of middle of the road high output pickup. Fairly balanced sound, but not my favorite Gibson pup.

3. Austintone

Austintone Member

Thanks man. If you don't mind me asking what is your favorite Gibson pickup - also to anyone else, what is considered the "best" Les Paul pickup that gibson makes? (For blues/southern rock)

4. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

My fav is the 57 Classic. All around great pickup.
    As for the best, that really depends on who your asking.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Burstbuckers are lower output, a little more balanced sounding IMO. I have a set and love them, they are my fave gibson PU's, with the 57s very close behind

6. Austintone

Austintone Member

Bump on this one fellas. I have a 335 with 57's - great pickups.

Would it be considered an upgrade to go from 490R/498T to the Burstbucker's? Or is it really just a matter of tatste?

7. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Personal taste.

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I have 498T/490R pickups in my Les Paul Standard and I've been thinking about upgrading to the '57s.

My criticism of the 498T/490Rs and reason for wanting a change is that the 498T/490Rs are a little too 'hot.' They seems to have a very strong, almost 'boingy' type of midrange. Cleaning to just slightly overdriven tones are not very pleasant. It's like the pickups are a little too overpowering.

I'd like something a little looser and more laid back. Something where I could play more complex chords with a little more clarity (e.g. jazzy blues type of things). Of course, I'd want a pickup that still sounds good when overdriven.

Would the '57s give me what I'm looking for, and more importantly, be worth the $$$!

Thanks,

- jeff -

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've never tried the '57 Classics but I have used the 490R/498T's and I currently have Burstbuckers in my 2002 LP Standard. I personally really like my BB's. They maintain their clarity with high gain and have nice sparkle on the top end. I never really liked the 490R/498T combo. They lacked character and clarity IMO. The Burstbuckers are the first Gibson pickup that I haven't wanted to replace.

10. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I'll chime in here.

First, remember that Burstbucker Pros are different from Burstbuckers. They shouldn't even be called the same name IMO. The Pros use alnico 5s I believe, while the Burstbuckers use 2s, and that makes a huge difference.

Also, the 498t/490r is a hotter pup combination because of the 498. I have a 490t/490r and it is not nearly as hot as the 498. I love the 490s...clear, detailed, but rich. Very similar to the '57 Classics but a more modern sound, hence the "modern classics" title from Gibson.

Neither is better. Neither is an upgrade.

I wouldn't trade my 490s for anything!

11. Austintone

Austintone Member

The new Les Paul I tried had BB's and man, it cleaned up so well. I just don't know if it was:

A The pickups
    B the chambered body
    C The Suhr Badger I played it through!

All else equal, I say the pickups...so do I drop the scratch and grab the BB's?

12. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Also Austintone, you could keep the 490 in the neck and put a 490 or a '57 Classic in the bridge to save some money. This would bring the bridge pup output down into the true PAF territory.

Fuzzfactor, I would suggest the same for you. Changing the bridge pup would make a big difference.

Of course, this is so subjective and it's only my opinion! Please remember that!

Good luck. :AOK

Oh, I'll add that the 498 is alnico 5 while the 490 is alnico 2 like the '57 classics.

13. sqadan

sqadan Member

The BB pros I have tried on the new Standards have a very bright almost acoustic clean tone... I think it may be a combination of the chambered body / alnico V magnets. They are not warm enough to my ears - too sterile sounding.

14. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I think that all 'upgradables' vary on a guitar to guitar basis.

I've swapped 498T/490R for 57 Classics in an SG - I've swapped 498T/490R in a 335 for Seth Lovers - And I just got a Howard Roberts with 498T/490Rs...

This time around I'm fine with them. At least for THIS guitar. And I thought the first thing I'd want to do is swap the pickups. Go figure.

If it sounds good, I no longer feel the need to jack with it. I've spent far too long chasing my tail, doing 'supposed' upgrades just to find I could have left it as is.

15. wilerty

wilerty Member

None are better ... just personal taste. I like the BBPs the best.