4x10 ,2x12, or other cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fuzzbucket, Aug 17, 2005.

1. fuzzbucket

fuzzbucket Guest

I have an old musicman hd130 head with 6ca7's. Right now I am running it through a peavey 4x12, but I dont like the sound of the peavey and I would like something a bit more portable. I play psychedelic dreamy rock, but I have an occasional heavy metal moment. Do you think a 4x10 or 2x12 would meet my needs better? I was also thinking of a cab with 2- 10s and 1-12 or 1-15(how would this sound?) Also anyone have any experience with splawn cabs? Thanks

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I use an 80's Marshall 4x10 and I prefer it to 4x12's and 2x12's. 4x10's have a tighter more focused bass and more midrange punch. Let your bass player take care of the "thump". You'll sound better within the band and your back will thank you.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

4. fuzzbucket

fuzzbucket Guest

I have decided to do an open back 4x10. I just need to decide on speakers now. I am leaning towards a ceramic/alnico combo. Has anyone tried a weber alnico silver 10 with a rajun cajun or ramrod? Any ideas? thanks

5. HHB

HHB Member

I cannot overstate my pleasure each time I use my Bogner open back 410 cab loaded w/ Kenderick blk frames, it's an amzing cab that seems like a huge acoustic guitar body as much as a cab

6. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I'm wit Bill. Well, actually, 600+ miles south of Bill. But anywho, my Adam Stark Sex Cab (pine, open-backed, 4x10) is stuffed with Kendrick blackframes and they sound GREAT with my Sex Amp, Komet and BF Bassman. So dere.

Hey Bill! Long time no see.

7. fuzzbucket

fuzzbucket Guest

kendricks sound nice, but because I am having a cab built and the builder does not sell kendricks I would like some other suggestions. What speakers can make my super loud clean head sound like a vox(or close)?

8. casazera

casazera Member

Hi fuzzbucket,

Check out the Weber 10" Blue Pup, available ceramic/or alnico
    http://www.tedweber.com/

9. fuzzbucket

fuzzbucket Guest

I have checked out the blue pup but i thought that the silver might complimrent the rajun cajun better.

10. ned911

ned911 Member

I use a Boogie open back 410 with Jensens in the Top and Eminence in the bottom. It sounds oh so sweet. The 1 negative is that is large and heavy compared to my Marshall 410 and definately needs casters.

11. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Give the Dr Z 4X10 a try........it's an openback cab and the speakers are 75 watts a piece, sounds great with both clean or overdriven tones. I use it with a Demeter TGA-3 and a Budda Stringmaster, I love mine.
    Rick

12. fuzzbucket

fuzzbucket Guest

I think I am going to go for a splawn 4x10 with 2 rajun cajuns in the bottmom and 2 weber blue pups in the top. Is there any reason I shouldnt do this? I considered using a weber michigan and just one cajun, but I thought that 2 speaker types would be enough.

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I think for a 4x10 I would use all the same speakers. Mixing always sounds like a good idea until you do it. Check out teh Tone Tools 4x10. Cas has done his homework.