4x10 Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sweet T, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

Aside from the number "What Speakers for a Super Reverb" threads on TGP, I need to ask the question again, albeit with different parameters. I've been talking with Ted Weber about getting something ballsier and warmer for my VS410. The speakers that Rick Hayes recommends in it are 2 10A125's and 2 10F150's, and that's what I got. I used to have this combination in a 63 Concert, but that's really a different sort of beast with no reverb and a solid state rectifier. And the VS410 isn't necessarily a Super, at least not stock. There is a midrange mod and the Diaz trem mod.

So, tonight, I plugged up a homemade 2x12 cabinet that's loaded with a ceramic Blue Dog and a ceramic Silver Bell. I really liked what I was hearing, but I have to wonder whether it was a function of them being 12's or a function of them being British-leaning speakers.

To weigh my options, I have to say I've thought of the following:

1. Ted's CTS ceramic clones. I've been sort of waiting to see what comes with the Alnico clone release, but it hasn't happened yet. I play with humbuckers primarily, so I wonder if the alnicos by themselves would flab out some.

2. DT-10's. We know they sound good when Derek plays through them, but are they versatile enough?

3. Eminence offerings. Copperhead, Rajin' Cajuns, Legends, Lil' Buddys, etc.

4. Tone Tubbys. What, do you think I'm rich?:p Would love to try them out, but damn....

5. A Blue Pup and Silver Bell combo. Does anyone use this?

6. Something else?

Anyone who has any offerings/opinions, please do tell.

Thanks for reading.

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I think a combo of Blue Pub ceramics and Silver Ten ceramics sounds fantastic.

3. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

Thanks, Bosstone.

One of the things I was looking at is a speaker that's less efficient so that the amp begins to break up a little earlier.

4. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

5. Whamosi

Whamosi Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for asking this question - I'll be following it... chime in folks!
    I'm considering what to do with my 4x10 - I have 2 new Celestion G10s I'm considering mixing with 2 of the Fender stock (Eminence) speakers, then from there who knows? I'm thinking some Eminence alnicos or Webers to pair with the Celestions. And the ceramic Tone Tubbies aren't quite the sticker shockers the Alnico's are, so that might be an option if I only get 2. I absolutely love the ceramic Tone Tubby 12" in my old Carvin Vintage 33, but wonder if the 10"s will co-habitate well with Celestion G10s. Too many speakers, so little time and money. I could end up with 4 different speakers and an explanation no more complex than "I ran out of money after installing THAT one".

6. sideman

sideman Member

My fave 4x10 in a Victoria Bassman: Jensen RI P10Rs (Mark Baier got it right). In a Fender Super Reverb: CTS AlNiCos or vintage Jensen C10Qs. In a BF Vibrolux Reverb? Jensen C10N/Ps. In a 5F6-A? Jensen P10Qs.