4x12 cab with 2 top speakers only...anyone try this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I've seen pics of a couple rigs like this and heard clips that sound incredible. I like the idea both from a weight stand point and overall output stand point. Anyone have any experience with this you could share?

Thx, Steve

2. somedude

somedude Member

I've never tried it with guitar speakers, but from my experience with other types of speakers it might sound kinda boomy.

But....if you already own a 4x12 there's a really simple test you can perform to find out for sure. ;)

3. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

Depends. Do you mean with the bottom two speakers removed? Is the cab a slant or a straight? I've experimented with a slant with the both bottom/top two alternately removed. I found it to sound a little boomy in an uncrontrolled, 'untuned' way. Sort of woofy and loose. Maybe with a ported rear panel it would sound differently. A straight would have less phase cancellation.
    I would suggest looking into a detuned cab maker. I've heard of detuned 4-12's, but don't know what the difference is between one and a standard 4-12.

What rigs/samples are you referring to?

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Al Estrada (spelling?) for instance uses a 4x12 with only the top 2 speakers loaded with EVM 12L's and his tone is amazing! I know the EVM 12L is not the usual guitar speaker so maybe that's the key why it works so well for him.:confused:

5. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

I ran my 69 50 watt Plexi and cabinet that way for years(79-90).
    Wired at 8 ohms instead of the normal 16.
    Always liked it. Then one day in the 90's a put the other two back in and really haven't used it much since. I do remember the effect of pushing more air with it fully loaded.
    I did it originally as a plan to reduce weight and stage volume.
    It seemed to work great and always had comments about the tone. Of course I was using a Scholz Rockman in the front end!
    (Where are my spandex and headband anyway?):)

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

this is exactly why I was hoping for good results. I really doubt I can beat the sound of a fully loaded 4x12 but man, my back!:(

7. somedude

somedude Member

Wouldn't it be lighter if you removed the whole bottom half of the cab (ie, replace it with a 2x12)?

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I have several 2x12 cabs already. I was trying to retain the fuller sound of the 4x12 and cut the weight and volume at the same time.

9. jgraham

jgraham Member

If its too boomy, what about covering the lower speaker cutouts with some plywood on the inside? you could even try 'porting' the plywood with a holesaw. At least that would be reversable if it didn't work out.

I don't know... just a thought.

My favorite cab was originally a half open cab, so the bottom is completely sealed from the top. I guess it wouldn't do me much good to remove the lower speakers. :(

10. fatback

fatback Member

Even easier, how about just disconnecting the bottom two speakers. The "dummy cones" might dampen some of the boominess. I know this wouldn't help with the cabs weight, but might be a cool experiment anyways.

11. dczay

dczay Gold Supporting Member

12. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

13. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

From what I'm reading, the tone I didn't like must have been the phase-cancellation due to the slant cab. I now use a straight, I'll try it again and see how it sounds. I'm only playing a 33-watt amp, and the lighter weight and more open dispersion on a stage appeal to me.

14. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

i want to try this on my cabinet. its a slant cab, 4 16 ohm speakers with the entire cabinet rated 16 ohms. if i remove the bottom 2 speakers, will it change the ohm rating by running just the top two and if so, to what? thanks in advance for your help.

15. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

You would have to rewire the two speakers for 8 ohms. Connect the positive terminal from one speaker to the negative terminal of the other, then wire the remaining positive and negative from each speaker to the jack.

16. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

hmmm. john, i tried this and get a reading of 16 ohms on my meter?? i'm using clips instead of soldering. positive from the jack to positive of speaker #1. from #1 positive, to negative of #2. from negative of #2 to negative on jack??

17. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

i tried this and got a reading of 8 ohms: positive (tip) of jack to positive of speaker #1. ran another wire from positive of #1 to positive of #2. negative of jack to negative of speaker #2. ran a wire from negative of speaker #2 to negative of speaker #1. read 7.4 ohms.

18. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

Sorry, I was thinking series when I should have been thinking parallel.

You're right, combine the two +'s and the two -'s.