• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

4x12 for a jubilee 2555

Family Guy

I have an old basketweave slant with Pre rola G12M's , but one has VC rub ( probably from being played with a 100W head!)
I want to swap out the greenbacks for something higher rated, but with a taste of the greenback sound.
I was thinking of two G12 -65's and two V30's, maybe in an x.
Would there be a mismatch in volume?
Please don't say scumbacks, I live in the U.K. and the cost is prohibitive here.
Thanks for your thoughts

AnthonyL

Gold Supporting Member
That would be a good mix.

You should also consider Warehouse. They ship international and their G12-65 version is priced at $65 U.S. Great speaker!

Family Guy

I love G12H30's unfortunately I would have the same problem as with the G12M's - the 100W head would burn them up. Actually maybe what I want is a higher rated version of the G12H, just something with a vintage rock sound that will complement the jubilee.

Erik

The G12H30's should work. I had a 4x12 loaded with them with my Splawn Quickrod (100 watts). I ran them hard for over a year, no problems. If I'm not mistaken, 100 watts won't hurt them as a 4x12 would be rated for 120 watts.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I would go with a couple of G12H30's mixed with a couple of Vintage 30's or a couple of G12-65's mixed with Vintage 30's.

I run my Marshall 2553 through a 212 with 2 Classic lead 80's, but I don't think that is the sound you are going for. I am trying to find a matching 2556 212 cab and going to put in a pair of Warehouse ET65's...

Family Guy

I've always been led to believe you should have speakers twice the rating of your amp - hence TWO 100w 4x12's in a traditional Marshall stack, as a 100w valve amp can have output spikes almost twice that wattage.
I don't want any speakers I buy to have the same fate as my lovely Greenbacks.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I've always been led to believe you should have speakers twice the rating of your amp - hence TWO 100w 4x12's in a traditional Marshall stack, as a 100w valve amp can have output spikes almost twice that wattage.
I don't want any speakers I buy to have the same fate as my lovely Greenbacks.
That rules out G12H30's and leaves you with G12-65, G12T-75, Vintage 30, Classic Lead 80's, and G12K-100 if you stick with Celestion.

Eminence has a GB12 which is supposed to be a higher powered greenback from what I have read.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
That rules out G12H30's and leaves you with G12-65, G12T-75, Vintage 30, Classic Lead 80's, and G12K-100 if you stick with Celestion.

Eminence has a GB12 which is supposed to be a higher powered greenback from what I have read.
GB12s are now private Jacks ... supposed to be very good in the greeny neighborhood, but I'm yet to try one.

Gnarlly

GB12/Private Jacks are good speakers, and definitely in the greenback neighborhood, but they lack that Celestion sizzle/high end IMO (I used to have a 4x12 with GB12's).

plexistack

The G12H30's should work. I had a 4x12 loaded with them with my Splawn Quickrod (100 watts). I ran them hard for over a year, no problems. If I'm not mistaken, 100 watts won't hurt them as a 4x12 would be rated for 120 watts.
A 100 watt Marshall cranked will frequently deliver 150 watts, and speakers should be rated accordingly. 120 watts is cutting it very close.

stoob0t

Personally, i'd be tempted to go all G12-65's - although i have to admit that an X of V30's and G12-65's sounds very tempting!

I've got two late 70's 12-65's im dying to put into something, but i just dont have a spare cab at the moment.

I'd definitely give what you're considering a shot. I think they'd pair up really nicely

Trending Topics