• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

4x12 question: Reeves or hightone?

Paul86

Dear TGP,
I know my next cab will be a Hiwatt-style 4x12, and I've narrowed it down to these two companies - HighTone and Reeves.
So, if you have any playing experience with any one of these two fine 4x12 cabs, could you please share it here? I'm well aware that this is very much like asking you people to split the hair off the back of a fly (if flies have hairs, that is).
But of all places on the whole Internet, I think this is the right forum for my question.
Anybody?
Thank you.

Last edited:

71strat

Some friends of mine and neighbors supply Hi Tone with VVR for their amps.

Richie and Dana Hall. Hall amplification.

Hi Tone Speakers have beaten out the competition 5 years in a row.
Hi Tone is also the only company endorsed by the Reeves family and Reeves Son is in charge of Parts Sourcing.

Glynn Reeves is the son of late HIWATT founder Dave Reeves. Glynn is responsible for U.K. based component sourcing and circuit accuracy. Glynn has been key in putting HI-TONE in a class all its own.

For me their would be only 1 choice.

71strat

For me short of getting some real Fane Cresendos. Nope.

Also.

Fane are coming out with a Repro of the 80 Watt Cresendo sometime soon in 2015.

Paul86

So ROKI,
Thanks for responding.
Another question: Do they work well with non-Hiwatt amps?
I was planning on getting a Hiwatt later next year, and running my amps thru only one cab.

ROKY

I have an Alessandro Bloodhound, and a little Roland blues cube.
Had to look up the Bloodhound that one should sound great thru FANE type speakers .
2 6550s in the power section, right ?

Besides my HIWATTs I've had great results with:

Fender Showman, Fender Bassman(Blonde), Traynor YBA-1A, among some others .

JC103

Very nice Crescendo's!! I'd go with a DR-F loaded Hi-Tone cab personally. I've had the Reeves vintage purples twice now, and can't get over the massive low end on them. Plus they really don't sound all that "Faney" IMHO. Nothing has come close to the mid 70's Hiwatt Fane's I used to have... and totally regret selling.

ROKY

ROKY

I'd like to see them come out with a 122231 replica also as mentioned in that thread.

The DR-Fs(125161 clones) are, without a doubt, fantastic speakers .

Trending Topics