4x12 Speaker Choice 100 watt head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by winkofaneye, Oct 16, 2008.

1. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I apologise if this has been covered 100's of times before! I have a choice to make on speakers for a 4x12,when using a 100 watt Marshall.I recently acquired an all original 1969 superbass plexi.Up until now I had been using 25 watt greenbacks with no problem.Granted,I used an attenuator so my other 100 watt heads were kinder to the speakers attenuated.The plexi on the other hand is a completely different beast altogether.It has noticably more low end than my 71 superbass(with changed transformers),and after 25 mins playing it cooked 1 speaker.The other marshalls have seen countless hours gigging and rehearsal,with no speaker damage.

My query is,whats the best speaker for classic 60's Hendrix style tones which could handle the low-end growl of the plexi.I should mention that I use a fuzzface and boost units too,which would obviously make more problems.The greenbacks I have now are english reissue.Current production/boutique options rather than hard to find vintage.Remember,I'm after that Hendrix tone,where the amp is at slight breakup,so speakers must provide that too.

Thanks in advance.

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix had the same problem and went into using the G12H30. This speaker being more efficient it's also louder than the G12M. An other alternative is the G12M65/ G12-65, or you can e.g. simply approach Ted Weber with an inquiry of what you want and he'll make it for you at a cost lower than a Celestion would be. I'm having him making me G12M25s but with 30W coils to handle 37W each when pushed.

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

Probably the expert would be Jim IIRC at Scumback speakers. He probably knows best, has the best choices, and can give the best advice among cheaper reissues or such that he doesn't sell. I don't think Celestion makes any G12H-30s with 55 Hz cones, but Weber and Scumback do.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Scumbacks without a doubt. You can 65 watt version of the G12H30 with 55hz cones. If you like the softer more midrange tone go for the M magnet with 65 watts and 55hz/75hz mix. That is the ones I'd choose if I was buying ceramic speakers. My personal favorite is the Scumnico 30 watt for my 50 watt heads but he sells a 65 watt versions too now that would sound vintage. Call Jim.

5. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

The heritage Celestion G12H30 is 55 Hz.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/spec.asp?ID=7

I'm not advocating it or anything - I've never tried it.

6. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

I'd search for some period correct Celestion G12H30's 014 cones.
    I am fortunate to have a stable of old Celestions and they are like wine.
    The new Cele Heritage series sound damn good right out of the box as well if you want to do your own Hendrix breakin

7. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Thanks for all the advice so far.Does anyone know whether the Scumbacks are available in the UK? Not much info on the website as far as delivery goes.Its either the scumbacks or the celestion heritage speakers that I'm going to go for,the g12h30 or comparables..Trying to track down vintage speakers is time consuming and expensive,and the amount I gig in and out of vans and venues I fear for their lifespan,so I'll stick with speakers that can be easily replaced.Saying that I have a lead on a 1969 4x12 with pre-rola celestions,but the 20 watt ones,which dont stand much of a chance with the 100 watt heads.It'd be a home/studio cab that one!

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

After a bunch of testing with the Scumbacks through old Plexis and those after the Hendrix tones, the best choice was the H55 65 watt models, especially if you're using a Strat only. I see you have a 61 SG as well (listed in your sig). If you're going to use that with this rig I'd recommend an H55/H75 65 watt mix, but if it's just the Strat, then four H55 65 watters will take you back to Woodstock and BOG tones. I sell direct, no distributors in the UK.

9. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Excellent,thanks for that advice.I will email you and get a shipping price.