4x12 vs. 2x12 cabinet? Tone difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kwk13, Jun 5, 2006.

1. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

I had always thought of the Marshall 4x12 cabinet as the standard for a good rock tone but I have been reading some great things about the THD 2x12 and Bogner Oversized 2x12 cabinets lately. I have a 4x12 Marshall 1960A cabinet loaded with Greenbacks. Portability is not a problem as I don't play out but I am looking for the best tone. Is there an advantage tonewise from the Bogner or THD cab over the 4x12 cabinet or is the 4x12 really the way to go and the 2x12's are a good portability option? Also, I don't need the high volume, so that is not a factor either. Thanks for any help!

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I like the sound of a 4x12 better then a 2x12 or 1x12. It is smoother more drivers doubling the sound gives a furrier smoother texture. There is less directionality and less articulation. Each speaker even if they are the same model responds ever so slightly different then the next one this softens the sound sort of blurs the edges. I play with a Richter attenuator so volume is not an issue.

3. Don L

Don L Member

4x12 gives me bigger sound and more thump.

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The 4x12 definitely gives more thump. The 2x12s are a little less muddy in the bottom end and often have the option of going half-open back.

I use two 2x12 Rivera K212s with a Rivera Sub 2 (a 2x12 500 watt sub-woofer) powered by a Knucklehead Reverb 100 watt head. I plan to put Alnico Tone Tubby's in one of the 2x12s and pop open the half-back cover. The Tone Tubbys are spectacular and have tone to die for, but are unhappy in a closed back cabinet.

Even with the sub, this rig will not have as much punch as my old non-master volume JCM 800 (model 1959) full stack because the "sub" functions below the lower midrange frequencies where thump dewlls, but it has much more true bottom end, complex midrange and sparkling, chimey highs.

I'd get a reasonably priced, used 2x12 like a Marshall 1936 from ebay, swap some speakers in and out, and see how you like it before getting rid of the 4x12 or spending big bucks on a boutique 2x12.

stratzrus

5. Roe

Roe Member

2x12s has a higher bass resonanse than 4x12s. less low bass. to me that's good.

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

What sort of music are you playing, and what guitars?

I have had the Bogner oversized 2X12 and it was great, but redundant with my Bogner 4X12. I gig, but size wasn't an issue (Volvo V70) so I sold the Bogner. I am an avid THD user/fan. Their 2X12 (and 4X12 for that matter) are great. But the types of tones you're after DO matter. If you were, for example, a grease-paint wearing, church burning, homosexual stabbing scandinavian black metal guitarist, I would steer you away from THD. :) Seriously though... cabs aren't neutral, and if there WAS a neutral cab, you wouldn't want it. It's part of the tone. I think the THD 2X12 sounds great for rock and blues. The heavier the rock stuff, the less appropriate it is. I use it on occasion for things like Tool and APerfectCircle, but if I were playing anything heavier than that, I'd definitely not use the cab. For the "me-centric" guitar playing stuff (the "I wish I were Robben Ford/Andy Timmons/etc" type bs that you never get to play in clubs) I think it's a great cab.

But I guess when I think "classic Marshall tone" I'm thinking a 4X12 based on the Marshall specs. I think there's always a place for a 4X12 in your recording and performing arsenal. Just like everyone should have a Tele, Strat, and LP. So sometimes I'd rather just hang onto the gear and save some cash until I can buy the extra piece. :)

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

2x12's sound great....until you put one next to a 4x12. It's only then that you really realize what you're missing.
    For me, a 4x12 is completely impracticle...but if I played large venues there would be no question.

8. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I guess what I am hearing is, one cab can't do it all- which makes alot of sense. Keeping what I have and buying a less expensive 2x12 to see what one is like sure makes sense too before diving in head first. Thanks again for all the input! That's why it sucks when the TGP is down!! I do stupid things!!

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yeah
    It's having the right tools for the trade.
    A 4x12 in a small club just sounds too boomy and one almost feels the sound is too big and bottom heavy in conjuction with the rest of the band ..............but when playing festivals and outdoors........
    A 4x12 comes in handy and sounds great in conjuction with the environment as the band now sounds bigger and more bottom heavy so the cab compliments this bigger band sound.

I feel a 2x12 is the perfect compromise and even on a big stage should be fine with a little in the front monitors for spread.

cheers
    rick

10. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Dude, dont buy a Marshall 1936. They are laser beams for projection and made like crap. Avatar 2x12 can be had for less and is a far superiour cab if your going cheap.

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

A 4X12 destroys everything in its path.

12. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

[​IMG]

As you can see, I have both a Bogner oversized 2x12 and a 4x12 (Jackson). The Bogner is heads and shoulders above the Jackson in terms of materials and workmanship, but the Jackson sounds bigger and better to me. So it must be the configuration.

Not that the Bog sounds bad by any means. I use it for the jam band stuff, the Jackson for the hard rock stuff.

13. Ricker

Ricker Member

Only when it's on............then the poor furry creature in the front row is toast............mmmm now I'm hungry.......

14. thid

thid Member

Have you ever heard the older 1936 cabs?
    They are very different from the later ones, you can spot the older 2x12's by the single handle on the top.
    They are deeper and built more solidly.

And if they are loaded with Celestion G12H30 with 55Hz cones they have a fuller tone than most modern 4x12.
    Thump and crunch. :AOK