1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

4x12 wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by hipfan, Sep 4, 2006.

1. hipfan

hipfan Member

I like the wiring set up that Old School's cab has in this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=165793

The cab has four 16 ohm speakers and three jacks. One for all four speakers wired at 16 ohms, one for 2 of the speakers wired at 8 ohms, and one for the other 2 speakers wired at 8 ohms. Can anyone direct me to a wiring diagram for that scheme, or explain it in such a way that someone with limited skills could follow it and wire it up? :D

Thanks for any help!

2. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Sounds like the cab is set up for stereo/mono by running 2 speakers at a time in parallel with each pair terminated at a speaker jack. The 16 ohm jack is probably activated once the cord is connected thus joining the two 8 ohm pairs in series which will once again equal 16 ohms. Sounds pretty simple to me but I can see where that might be confusing to someone who hasn't wired many cabinets or experimented with different wiring methods. I hope this helps but tonight I have limited time to put into this topic, hopfully this helps you at least a little....

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Thanks much. That makes sense. :)

4. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

You are most welcome, feel free to contact me anytime at: bill@arkamps.com for any further questions, hopefully I can help you;)

5. shooto

shooto Member

soooo...could you do that with an 8 ohm loaded cab?

stereo being:
    one jack running (2) 2x12 at 4 ohm

one jack running (2) 2x12 at 4 ohm

and mono being:
    one jack running(4) 4x12 at 8 ohm

how is that wiring done?

6. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Exactly the same as the first scenario except with 8ohm speakers instead of 16 ohm speakers:AOK

7. shooto

shooto Member

well, I know how parallel and series wiring work, but Ijust cant see it...do yo know where there would be a diagram or something? (I'm one of those people with limited cab wiring experience) Thanks!

8. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I hope I didn't offend you! I can't remember exactly where on the net that there are wiring diagrams for guitar cabs, a Google search might possibly get you there.

I learned an awful lot from London Powers building speaker cabinets for musical instruments book. Very cool and unique approach to guitar speaker cabinet design, it has radically changed how I will build speaker cabs from now on! Our first trial runs with his methods absolutely blew away the "normal" cabs I have played for so many years. His wiring info is very detailed and easy to read/understand.

Do yourself a big favor and buy his excellent book, I doubt you will regret it!

9. shooto

shooto Member

no worries...there was no offense- I just built my first cab and wanted to do the mono/stereo switching but couldn't work it out with a DPDT switch so I 'm looking for other ways and saw this thread-

here's my cab btw, I don't think it's too bad for first time and from mempry of a few pointers, it is super loud:

[​IMG]

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Very cool looking cab man!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my good friends recently built his first 2x12 and got lucky too! I guess you are pretty careful when you are buying all the materials eh?

I messed around with the 3 jack idea on paper and on first glance it may require a stereo jack for the 16 ohm mono operation, If I get it drawn correctly I will try to let you know and then I could scan it and email it to you.

It is trickier than I thought! My favorite amp repairman in Detroit has a test 4x12 cab that has a toggle switch on the front that switches between impedances; there should be a way to handle this stereo/mono thing using a switch too but that might take longer to figure out.

I will get back with you if I have a drawing or an easy "verbal" description for you ok?

If you have the time I would like you to try an experiment. Take out 2 of the speakers in your 4x12; either the 2 bottom or diagonal; put the back panel back on and tell me what it sounds like to you. You might be surprised at what you hear!
    This is the basic speaker cab design as described in London Power's book; equal (front)porting area for each speaker used; the only 4x12's I like now are ACTUALLY 2x12's!!!
    But make sure the speaker wattage rating for 2 speakers is enough for the power going into them.... try it if you dare....

11. shooto

shooto Member

funny you mentioning that- I had 4 new speakers and two were bad so I sent them back and just used the two others in the 4x12 cab- nice, but just didn't give the push a full 4x12 does-

12. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Yeah, I find the "ported" version sounds more "natural" and open in the bass and mids and not as compressed or choked at high volumes. Even porting between speakers sounds great like in my friends 2x12, sounds huge!!!

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

[QUOTEThis is the basic speaker cab design as described in London Power's book; equal (front)porting area for each speaker used; the only 4x12's I like now are ACTUALLY 2x12's!!!
    But make sure the speaker wattage rating for 2 speakers is enough for the power ][/QUOTE]

I believe they call it "detuned". Its my understanding you can do this to a regular 4x12 by removing two speakers. I tried it and decided to just convert my 4x12 into an open back. Settled on one third opening.