1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

4x12's, slant or straight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pappafox, Jun 12, 2006.

1. pappafox

pappafox Member

Howdy Folks,
    I'm getting an urge for a 4x12 and wanted to know if there really is a difference in sound. I think they both look cool with a Marshall 50 watt sittin' on top. I would load it with 4 H75 Scummies.

Thanks for any and all opinions,
    Jimbo

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I have one of each, '70's issue with the same speakers in them, black-backed Celestion 25 watt speakers. Here are my opinions. I prefer the straight cabinet about 80% of the time. It is more full sounding, has a deeper voice. It's a great sounding cabinet. It hooks up great with treble position pickups on any guitar, because it is less brittle and brash than the slant cab. The straight cab is more directional and that can be a problem.

The slant cabinet is easier to hear if you are playing indoors, and have to stand close by the amp. The slant is brighter, and sounds like it might fly apart to me sometimes. I really do enjoy the sound of the slant with a Strat neck pickup. It is a very beguiling combination. But most of the time, I use the straight cabinet.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I like my straight cabs better than my slant cab, for the same reasons Mark has posted.

4. JoeP

JoeP Member

Straight cabs all the way for me...

J

5. HHB

HHB Member

6. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Joe says it better than I can explain...
    I agree with him 100%!

Well after having my new Bogner 4x12 I reviewed here for a while, I decided to get another cabinet for recording purposes. Since my studio is in my basement and the air conditioning does not work down there, I bought a second Bogner 4x12. The problem is, since it is so hot in the basement in summer, we run a bunch of fans. The mics pick up the fan noise and make a wooshing noise. So I got a second Bogner 4x12 to put in another room to record with. So I play and use the original cabinet so I can hear myself and use the second cabinet to record with. HERE IS THE PROBLEM...I purchased a slant cabinet the first time, figuring it was the thing to do. Then when I went to get a second cabinet, they only had straight cabinets in stock. Since I liked the look of the slant better, I was disappointed, but figured who cares, it is a recording cabinet. The sales person told me that a straight cabinet sounds fuller and would record better anyway, since it would not have the phase cancelization problems slant cabinets create. So I bought the straight cabinet. Well I got home and hooked it up, to my disappointment, IT SOUNDS A LOT BETTER, than my slant cabinet does. The bummer is, I ordered my slant cabinetin a custom color, so I got it now for better or worse. The straight cabinet is much fuller and does not have the upper midrange dominance the slant seems to possess.

I called Shawn at Bogner and he told me that what I was hearing was NOT more bass in the straight cabinet but more midrange in the slant. He said get an EQ and cut the upper midrange around 1.5 and that would make the slant sound more like the straight. So I did, and it took some tweaking above and blow 1.5, but I got it to sound fantastic. The bummer is, I have to constantly compare what I am hearing in my reference cabinet to what the recording cabinet is really doing, since you can never get them both 100% alike.
    keith

7. gnugear

gnugear Member

I've had two slants and three straights. The straights always sound better. More cohesive and taut.

8. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Ever since I purchased my Bogner Straight 4x12, I've been in tone heaven. I was initially interested in it because of the looks, but after doing some research, I found the same thing as Keith above. I found straight 4x12s simply easier to dial in what I like (I get enough midrange from enough different sources in my signal chain that any more from the cabinet would be overkill).

So, in short, I'm a straight 4x12'' guy for life. :)

9. billdurham

billdurham Member

All the above, but it depends on how you are going to use the cabinet. If you are gigging with it, having the slant cab put more of your own sound at ear level makes it harder to hear the rest of the band. I had a full stack when I gigged and never used the top cabinet (the slant) for that reason. Even if the slant was on the floor, it has the same effect.

BD

10. laadeeda

laadeeda Member

I have two full stacks 4 4x12's and there is no contest - the straights win. Someone once explained to me that there is a funny phase cancellation effect that happens with the slant designs. Maybe that's true, it would explain the difference.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Well I am not going to disagree with the straight/slant issue and I know that is what you asked but I want to point out that it is a very minor difference in comparison to getting the right speakers. I have tried over a dozen different combinations of speakers in various Marshall 4x12s and a straight never beat a slant with better speakers.

12. pappafox

pappafox Member

Thanks folks for all the replies. The thing is, back in the early 70's, I had a Marshall slant 4x12 with a 50 watter perched on top. All I can really remember is that it sounded so HUGE.

My only concern with a straight is playing those tiny stages, where you are right on top of your amp. That "canon of sound waves" blasting right past you into the herd. These days though, for me, a 2x12 is more than adequate. A 4x12 would just be for those times when I want to vent.

Concerning speakers, I am sold on the Scumback H75's.

Thanks again,
    Jimbo

13. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i agree that straight sounds better, but slant looks cooler. sooooo...i use a slant :)

14. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Don't know which sounds better, but I did pick up a 1960AX slant today for a killer price.

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

16. m@2

m@2 Member

i think it's interesting that many prefer straight cabs, but it seems like WAY more angled cabs are for sale/available. Do they just make more angled cabs?

btw.. I also prefer straight cabs, both in look and sound.

17. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Boger straight cabinet with angled baffle board gives the upside of all scenarios.

18. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I always liked the way slant cabs looked so I bought them all the time without giving any thought to sound. I figured a 4x12 was a 4x12 and a slant cab would sound the same as a straight cab of the same model. Then one day I A/B'ed a couple of slant and straight cabs. Without exception the straight cabs sounded significantly better. I still prefer the look of slant cabs and I think they are easier to hear on stage since the top speakers are angled towards your ears but for the best tone, straight cabs are better in my opinion.

19. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've always been happy with my slant.

20. sleek

sleek Member

Most if not all of this is just based on the fact that slants have the speakers pointing at your head.

Look at what people are saying: "Straights have more bottom" "Slants have more mids and highs"~both explainable without using bizarre math or phasing variables!

There's a lot of annoying noise in electric guitar...straight cabs point all of that at your knees, and all you hear is the awesomeness.

It's kind of cheating. The poor bastards in front of you have to hear all that filth!

I prefer to be more honest with myself and use a slant...as a matter of fact, I wish I could find one that had a greater slant (like a monitor wedge) for club gigs so I could hear what the audience heard and adjust accordingly...I could also turn the amp up without all the sound just beaming at the complaining sound man!

I have never heard a difference when I put my head on level with the speakers in either case, and have never heard a difference through a microphone.