1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

4xEL84 with Fender AB763 preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jzucker, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone make a kit like this?

I don't need trem because I've found that trem pedals work great but IMO, verb has to be integrated into the preamp. Otherwise, stuff like distortion pedals don't sound very good in front of them. Additionally, the holy grail seems to negatively effect the guitar tone.
    I have an external reverb unit but I just like the simple fender style reverb built into an amp.

What I'm really looking for (or build) would be an AB763 style preamp (minus the trem) and the 4xEL84 output tubes...
    FYI - I have a Torres princetone which is a fender princetone reverb with 2 EL84 tubes and it sounds great. It has that Scott Henderson Dog Party kind of tone...I think the 4xEL84 version would totally kill...

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

with a cathodyne phase inverter (princeton reverb) not as much gain as a longtail pair and you still could do some tremelo..
    I'd say buy a weber chassis and go for it..

3. KLB

KLB Member

You may need to add a CUT control to tame the tendency of EL84 toward brittle highs. Cathode-biased will sound warmer, but will be more compressed than fixed bias. EL84 take the least grid signal to saturate of all common tube types. Use a Vox-style 47K/820ohm phase splitter and keep the coupling caps as small as possible.

FWIW, I prefer two gain stages with Fenders, and use OD pedals for more distortion. In my Deluxe Reverb I disconnected the third gain stage on the Vibrato channel, then rerouted the reverb return to the input of the Normal channel. Many other tweaks, but you get the idea.

4. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Get an AB763 twin and use those little YellowJacket buggers that let you run the amp with EL84 output tubes.

5. jzucker

I don't want the excess weight of all the twin's iron. I also would like something more compact.

Regarding a cut control, I don't see the need. My torres princetone does not have one and it doesn't sound shrill at all.

Also, I prefer the 3rd gain stage of the fender ab763 circuits. To me, the 2 stage preamps don't have the fullness.

6. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Torres would build you a quad el84 version.

If you're just dying to build an amp - go for it! Sounds like fun. But there's no ready made kit for that. You'll have to get busy with a hole punch set, and a kombo king chassis.

What transformers will you use?

Mickey

7. hasserl

hasserl Member

Get a Weber 6A80 amp kit (combo or head, which ever you prefer) and use their AP1 adapter plate to adapt the chassis' octal socket holes to accept a 9 pin socket. Oilla! There you go.

Or, piece an amp together using Weber's 6L80 chassis to begin with, which is designed to do exactly what you are asking abou. Actually, you could probably just get the kit with the 6L80 chassis if you asked them to do it that way, they are pretty flexible. And getting the kit will get you the trannies and cabinet at a price you will not likely match elsewhere. Though I wouldn't use the jacks and switches that come with the kit, upgrade those. And get some extra wire in each of the colors. You can't do better than that!

8. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

I got in trade... it has the brass plate and "i think" all the board stock you would need..email me and I'll send you pictures if you are interested

9. nek

nek Member

Sounds to me like you are describing a Dr Z Maz 38 Senior.

10. jzucker

I don't think so. The Maz is a great amp but I don't think it's close to a BF fender in terms of design. For example, he has his own reverb circuit that's nothing like the fender design.

11. humbert

humbert Member

I think you do. I have an AB763 Dual Showman, that I tried running 2xEL84 for a 15W amp using Yellow Jackets. Sounded great clean, but once I pushed it up into the distortion range, it was fizzy and crispy --- hardly Brian May at all.

The Princeton is a really different animal, IMHO.

Hope this helps. P.S.: I am using my AB763 DS with 2x6L6 and 2xEL84 --- the extra headroom, wattage and presence make this amp sustain like a champ, and still retain that dynamic Fender piano-tone.

-Tim