5-10 watt tube amp

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson GA-5 Reissue. Totally hand wired. Once upon a time they were blown out at one of the big online shops so if you're lucky you might get a good deal. I bought mine on the used marker. had a cold solder joint and I got it modded by a great amp tech/builder.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
I have two 5 watters. One is perfect for this and one is not. My Victoria 5112 sounds glorious unmic’ed along with acoustic/ electric guitar players and I pretty much always play a delay in that amp too... carbon copy, Aqua Puss or something digital. I also have a Dr. Z Mini Z and this guy really does not clean up at all. So maybe not the best pick to join an acoustic low volume session. Consider the Victoria 5112 though....

Last edited:

Tone chader

I have the Tone King Gremlin. I can attest to it's versatility. Great clean channel, and great tweed overdrive channel. Get an A/B Y box. You can get three channels that way. It's a loud 8 watts. But the attenuator gets you great tone at a variety of volumes.

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
I have two 5 watters. One is perfect for this and one is not. My Victoria 5112 sounds glorious unmic’ed along with acoustic/ electric guitars and I pretty much always play a delay in that amp too... carbon copy, Aqua Puss or something digital. I also have a Dr. Z Mini Z and this guy really does not clean up at all. So maybe not the best pick to join an acoustic low volume session. Consider the Victoria 5112 though....
The 5112 is usable with an acoustic also?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
The 5112 is usable with an acoustic also?
No.... I mean playing electric guitar along with an acoustic player. I can keep my volume low enough to not overpower them. I don’t think I’ve ever actually plugged my Taylor’s into the 5112. I have a Mesa Rosette 300 for that. I fixed my original post for better clarity. Sorry about that!

Ejay

Why on earth would you go for a 5-10 watt amp? The window In which you can use amps like that is very very small. If regular gigging is on your path....you will run out of headroom some day very soon., and leave that amp home forgood.

Plenty of stuff on the market that is small, light, sound good...and fits gigs from very quiet up to even full bands with very civilized drummers.

First to look at would be fender superchamp x2 (my personal fav)...Mesa subway (maybe paired with a modeling pedal to accomodate low volume stuff)

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
Fat Jimmy Tone Machine is a great choice. 10-watts with the single 6L6 tube or about 5-watts using a 6V6 tube. Samamp VSC12 is another good choice if you need a few more bells and whistles. It's a totally different amp though. On the Brit side, a Reeves Custom 12 PS is a good choice. The power scaling option adds some versatility for generating distortion at lower volumes.

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
Why on earth would you go for a 5-10 watt amp? The window In which you can use amps like that is very very small. If regular gigging is on your path....you will run out of headroom some day very soon., and leave that amp home forgood.

Plenty of stuff on the market that is small, light, sound good...and fits gigs from very quiet up to even full bands with very civilized drummers.

First to look at would be fender superchamp x2 (my personal fav)...Mesa subway (maybe paired with a modeling pedal to accomodate low volume stuff)
well, with covid running rampant all the regular gigs have been cancelled, and the only gigs that are available are small ones like breweries and coffee house type shows, and I think that my deluxe reverb or super reverb may be just a tad too big for those types of venues. I figured a small low watt amp that would be good for those types of shows and also good for home practice would be good

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor
Not just for the money but great quality and tone I'd say check out an AC10 By Vox or AC15.

The AC10 will do plenty and have plenty of friends and seen pros use theirS pretty well. The little ten keeps up too. I think it's a Greenback 110.

Pretty dope and amazing little amps with great tone. Can do clean and blues stuff and jazz or heavier with just an SD1 or OD808 easy. takes pedal So well and has a solid tone for sure.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using a mini Dirty Shirley for extremely low volume gigs and while it's not 5 watts the master volume is quite good

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member

I can add an explanation to this too. It is a pretty cool feeling to walk into a jam, drop a small little amp down beside some 40 watt 2x12 amps (on 0.5 volume) and play with a single delay pedal and your volume on 7... and sound great! There is a place for small amps like 5F1 champs or Pro jr’s and it is becoming pretty common as well. It’s just a different way of thinking to get to an appropriate volume for a specific situation... turn up or turn down to meet in the middle. I would use a different amp for the big jobs too, but low volume gigs sound great with a low volume amp.

roverdog

I usually use a 57 Champ reissue. Bigger gigs, I put an SM57 in front of it and go through the PA.
I do have a couple of other smaller amps, Mesa 5:25 express and Princeton Reverb Reissue, but the Champ can be heard by our drummer and bassist, and is light!

Last edited:

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Every time I get tempted to buy a good 5 or so watt amp, like a Gries, Allen, Swart, etc., I'm reminded of how good my Mesa TA-15 sounded, how much versatility it had, and how it could do 15 or 25 watts as well, and that feature set makes it kill any 5 watter in my mind. I sold that only to get the last bit of cash needed for a Mark V, which is now gone.

The only reasons I haven't already bought another is, my Bogner ATMA sounds even better and has 5 and 1 watt settings, and a loop. And when I talk myself into wanting another TA-15 anyway for the other voices, etc., I can't find one within $100 of what I sold mine for 3 years ago. If I find one for what I sold mine for, I'll buy another one.

Point is, as cool as some of the 5 watters are, there are amps that do that and more in the same price range. So TONE would be the only reason to do it, IMO.

Last edited:
Every time I get tempted to buy a good 5 or so amp, like a Gries, Allen, Swart, etc., I'm reminded of how good my Mesa TA-15 sounded, how much versatility it had, and how it could do 15 or 25 watts as well, and that feature set makes it kill any 5 watter in my mind. I sold that only to get the last bit of cash needed for a Mark V, which is now gone.

The only reasons I haven't already bought another is, my Bogner ATMA sounds even better and has 5 and 1 watt settings, and a loop. And when I talk myself into wanting another TA-15 anyway for the other voices, etc., I can't find one within $100 of what I sold mine for 3 years ago. If I find one for what I sold mine for, I'll buy another one.

Point is, as cool as some of the 5 watters are, there are amps that do that and more in the same price range. So TONE would be the only reason to do it, IMO.
Love my Mesa TA-15, does so many things well plus the 5w mode genuinely is usable from low bedroom levels upwards. The only downside for me is that while the Tweed mode produces some lovely clean tones, even with the channel gain maxed, it doesn't do tweedy gain/crunch with single coils.

Having said that, I've got a hankering for a Tone King Gremlin ... possibly the perfect grab n go small combo?

royd

My 2nd favorite amp of all time as a silverface Champ that had been placed in a larger cab with a 12 inch Weber blue dog. It was glorious. I wish I still had it. It didn't do dirty but was an amazing pedal platform. For an updated version of that, check out the Ceriatone Ultra. The silverface Fender Musicmaster is a very similar circuitry in a 12 inch cab.

FWIW, the other amp that I loved was a '64 Deluxe Reverb with a EV speaker. Wish I still had it too.

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
I did a small gig yesterday where I was asked to bring my band to play an acoustic show to keep volume down. We actually could have done a regular show with very minimal equipment. Which is leading me to look for a very small 5 to 10 watt amp max for such shows and home practice. can anybody recommend a small watt up to 10 watts max for very small gigs that will pair well with a stratocaster? and has some sort of decent cleans as well? Im looking at the tone king gremlin vs the supro 1605R. any thoughts?
Gibson Skylark 5 Watts of pure tone with the stock Jensen Speaker, check one out, while they are still affordable.

Trending Topics