5 Major Beatles Hits You Just Don't Like?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stx, Feb 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JK1965

JK1965 Member

I know right?!

I nearly spit my coffee out when I read that. I realize music is like food. Arguing about it is pointless. That said, reading some of these posts..... like they don’t have a single good song and other such nonsense. I simply don’t know how anyone with any musical sense at all could say such a thing. They did all these songs in about a 7 year window. That in itself is astounding. If they had nothing else, they had songwriting skills that few have ever had or ever will. To the bashers, let’s hear your songs. Let’s hear one, just one that is better...

The Beach Boys lololololol

Pill's_Ghost likes this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

In the Playboy interview he did in 1980, he explicitly acknowledges this passage as referring to his abuse of Cynthia.

3. John Quinn

John Quinn Member

Blue Jay Way is interesting and captivating for me. It has a creepiness to it that is unnerving - but one day after a friend and I listened to the song - he pointed out
    the multiple rhythm signatures through out and then I 'understood' it. Overall I think it's George's homage to old horror movies like Frankenstein and Dracula that he
    was watching whilst he waited for some friends to come visit in LA.

4. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    this has been such a bummer thread but this is an excellent post, great thinking, there does seem to be some Hammer horror influence in some of George's stuff, including the scary voice he uses to count in Taxman ... the Beatles' Christmas fan club recording from 1966 really plays this aspect up ... Count Balder, son of Baron Landsberg, inventor of the rack, at Felpin Mansions

Revolution 9 is a sound art masterpiece that rivals Stockhausen's great tape works like Mikrophonie II from 1965:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    A-Bone likes this.
  5. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

That is a cool story. And I have heard about Paul doing that (not for everything GM did, but yeah). I heard the one about Paul wanting a certain cello on Yesterday and GM disagreed but did it, and in the end, he said Paul was right. The Penny Lane piccolo trumpet is Paul's idea. She's leaving Home was orchestrated by someone else and I never liked it much until the 2009 remix - it sounds completely different and much better. GM sour grapes?

A Day in the Life is a stoned song. I did listen all the way through it anymore, but I did back in the day.

6. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

Yeah,GM was VERY upset that they called someone else to do SLH, and he even put down the guy's arrangement!

Motterpaul likes this.
  7. Motterpaul

I had a friend who lived on "Skylark Lane" literally right next to "Blue Jay Way" it is actually a fantastic view and a very nice area (nice upper-class houses, no gates or fences). I don't why it is such a downer song.

I hate to say it because George became an amazing songwriter, but something happened - maybe after the Clapton visit. I could say I don't love any of his songs until "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" but after that, they are mostly amazingly good. Something is among the top songs ever covered by other artists. And Paul's backup vocals and bass made Something into something better.

8. Motterpaul

Norwegian Wood - this was a classic in the day - one of the first sitar songs they did.
    When I'm 64 - the first song I learned to play on guitar, even our parents liked it - yeah, it sucked.
    Come Together just never liked it. - I agree with you, too pretentious.
    Yellow Submarine - sorry, but my inner child disagrees.
    Love Me Do will do. I could go to ten. - It is not a great song, but it was just good enough in the day to open the door, thank Goodness. For that matter, I never really liked many of the early hits: She Loves You, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Please Please Me.

It was the "deep cuts" that got me first:

Money
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    Anna
    It Won't Be Long
    All My Loving

stratocat63 likes this.
  9. Motterpaul

This is almost technically correct - the best stuff was not so much the stuff they wrote together, but when they really came together to sing in the studio is when they killed it. Their voices could blend like no one's else, and when they worked out harmonies, from as early as "Money" (the b7ths in "It's what I want") to later on in "Here comes the Sun" was always amazing.

That being said the one song I cannot listen to is "Yes It Is." Lennon said he was trying to write another "This Boy" but it didn't work out the way he expected.

Vaifan likes this.
  10. David16

David16 Member

NOPE SORRY, I"M A DIE HARD IN THE WOOL BEATLES FAN. I GREW UP ON THEM AND THAT PERIOD SO IT BRINGS BACK GREAT and SAD MEMORIES.

11. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

Previous "favorite Beatles songs" threads-5 pages tops.

"Beatles songs you hate" thread- steaming towards 20 pages.

People just love to complain about s&%t.

Stx likes this.
  12. Vaifan

Vaifan Member

Agreed with the blending voices. They loved the Everly Brothers for harmonies. Their early songs reflect that I think. One song Lennon said he hated that he wrote, was Run For Your Life from Rubber Soul. I love that song. So you never know what moves people.

13. MilesMitchell

MilesMitchell Member

I don't understand all the hate for Lady Madonna...I mean listen to those drums! Recorded perfectly. Love the little swinging brush work before Ringo bursts in full kit. It's almost like a hip hop beat. Paul's strong voice (with his fake american accent), the harmonies and that catchy horn lick? Come on.

Also Blue Jay Way, incredible George tune. I've never partaken in psychedelics but I absolutely love that song. It's almost like you're stumbling around the entire time but somehow keep your balance. Also a fantastic song to drive to on a dark and windy road. That one, It's All Too Much and It's Only A Northern Song are a perfect little psychedelic trio from George. Speaking of which, who said George didn't like distortion? Check out It's All Too Much, that opening chord sounds like he got Hendrix on the track.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Motterpaul and Jayyj like this.
  14. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

any of them. Don't care for the Beatles.

:hide

15. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

I like all the Beatles songs...
    Listening to their evolving musical ideas thru the years...
    but, I get tired of hearing some of the ones played to often...

16. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

When I was in the second grade (back in the 70s), a friend and I used that song to terrorize his younger sister. It definitely freaked her out. I was even admonished by my mother not to play the song for any of my friends.

Motterpaul likes this.
  17. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

Oh but the vocal he laid on that one !

18. hellbender

hellbender Member

Me too. Those that they list are the soundtrack of my teen years.

19. Pill's_Ghost

Pill's_Ghost Member

Least favorite Beatles songs ranked in order:
    1.Wonderwall.
    2.Champagne Supernova.
    3.Morning Glory.
    4.Don’t Look Back In Anger
    and...
    5.Savoy Truffle (I know that's not a hit but Not Guilty would have been a better choice for the album).

20. HellsKitchenGtr

HellsKitchenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Ok, major hits, so the Red and Blue hits albums? Nothing I hate. I would pick Love Me Do and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da as a bit boring. And I've heard Let It Be just too many times, but it's still a great song.