5 sting bass tuned with high C

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Clapton is God, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Clapton is God

Clapton is God Supporting Member

Does anyone know of a company that sells a set of strings for a 5 string bass tuned E-A-D-G-C?? They all seem to want you to play a low B, but I want no part of that! GHS used to sell a set, but looks like not anymore. I guess I'll just have to buy a set of 6 strings and strangle a hobo with the useless low B. :NUTS

Thanks in advance!

2. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

Mmmmmmmmm. Low B.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Get a guitar?

j/k...

Low B is where it's at - why u want no part o dat?

4. ghoti

ghoti Member

Just buy a six-string bass, and you have both low b and high c.

or if you're determined to do EADGC, go to someplace like juststrings.com and order yourself a four-string set + one for the high string (look for "individual strings" and choose your gauge)

5. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

Apparently Elixer allows you to buy a 4 string set then buy a seperate B and or C to dictate your string set. According to their ad in Feb's Bass Player magazine. www.elixerstrings.com/bass

I'm with Ghoti though, 6 is where it's at!

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

In my "Wanna be Steve Swallow" days, I would buy a 4 string set, and a single for the high C. You can also buy a 6 string set, and not use the B. Someone on talkbass said that just strings or someone like that does have a 5 string E-C set. But you obviously limit your choices. I would just buy a .30 or whatever size single.

BTW, I use to play this in a Jazz Trio..blissfully one without a guitar player...my god what heaven! :D

If you would like to have a serious discussion about 5 string E-C playing, you better PM me, based on the responses here so far...:rolleyes:

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler Member

I tune my 5-string Elrick tuned E-C. Fodera and GHS both have high C five-string sets. You can also order separate high C strings from companies like DR to go with their standard four-string sets as mentioned. Fodera and DR are my favorite brands out there, so the choices ain't that bad ;) :D

8. Clapton is God

I am a guitar player by nature, but appreciate the bass just as much. I have a MIM Jazz bass, that I have moded to look like a 60's Jazz. Also I picked up an OLP MM3 from MF when they were blowing them out for $150. The bass is pretty cheaply made, and the low B is almost useless on that guitar. The pickup does not.. well.. pick it up very well, and it is impossible to keep it in tune and intonate it. In an experiment I moved all the strings down one tuner, and attempted to put a .030 gauge guitar string on the last post. It was juuuust a little too short, but I managed to string it up (and tune to pitch) for a little while before it slipped out of the tuning post. I gotta tell you I LOVED the higher register ability on it. So that's my story. I looked on juststings (thanks to ghoti) and I intend to buy a single string. It's ridiculous that it's going to cost $12 for just one though! Thanks for all helpful comments.

P.S.

tkozal,

I'd like to hear more about your high C days, if you're willing to share.

9. Bassomatic

Lighten up, T.

Just a standard issue bassist joke.

I'd certainly never dismiss any instrument or instrumental intent out of hand.

10. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

what ya think the smileys are for...geezzz....

I studied jazz theory with the sax player Eric Kloss for several years, years ago. I got very good with jazz harmony, and started playing more chords, "triple stops" if you will. I listened to a lot of Steve Swallow. I worked up an entire little chord vocabulary, where I would play the roots. Most were 1-3-7 types of chords, few fifths. Got to the point where I could read through the real book, playing 3 and 4 note chords, comping, putting in passing chords etc...read melodies in treble clef. It really helped my overall musicianship. He could play a 4 bar improvised solo phrase, and I could repeat it back to him.

I played with a keyboard player who was naturally left handed, and loved playing bass lines, which he was quite good at. He would love to do this behind my solos. We had a few duo gigs where we played in kind of that Bill Evans/Jim Hall Undercurrents mode. But with me on 5 string bass. Much fun. We would get really out at times. The Carla Bley duets with Steve Swallow were out at the time, and were also a major influence.

No guitars. None. Occasionally a reed player. No guitar players, did I say that already? It was WONDERFUL!

It is great to have that high C when you are trying to pick melodies and harmonies off of records, as the range is closer to the human voice.

11. cameron

cameron Member

Interesting. My first thought was why a high-C, why not a high-B like the next string on a guitar? But on second though, the high C really makes just as much sense.

But if you want to use the bass a bass as a melodic instrument, getting up into that next octave, why not just use a four string, and tune it in fifths? Like D A E B for example. Voicings-wise, it'd be like a really big mandolin . . .

12. Bassomatic

Now *there's* a darned good reason for a high C. It's sadly just double and triple stops for me.

13. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

The high C allows for full fourth tuning patterns, you can play the same forms all over.
    The next level was to actually get a set of piccollo strings, tuned the same as the low 4 strings of the guitar, or maybe a whole step lower.

- - 16 - - - - - -
    - - 14 - - - - - -
    - - 12 - - - - - -
    - - 13 - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - -

I would do stuff like this, that is the opening chord of "Blue in Green", a BbM7 with a raised 4th. Some day I will tab the whole work out of that I did with 3 and 4 note chords.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

A so-called B-D set, tuned E-C, will likely sound better, have better sustain, and have less fret rattle, owing to the increased string tension. Just use a standard set and crank 'em up.

15. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Umm,, no, I don't think so, that is wrong in sooo many ways....

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler Member

Are you talking about taking a B-G set and tuning it up to E-C? If you're looking to break the strings and probably massively screw up your neck, then that's a GREAT idea. Otherwise, I wouldn't even PRETEND to try that, on even a graphite neck.

17. Clapton is God

bbocaner,

You're my hero!! Thanks man.

18. babaseen

babaseen Member

Reading this thread just converted me to the high C on my 5ver...thanks boys! Now to find the right set...most important for me is I need a .110 for the E

19. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Don't try this at home, kids!