5 Watters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fitz, Sep 17, 2016.

1. fitz

fitz Member

I'm curious with how many people like and use 5 watt amps? I think they are plenty loud and have a very cool unique tone. Mine include:

1) Marshall Class 5 Head through a 2X12 Avatar Greenback cab which is loud as all heck. Real nice Plexi tones which I use for recording. I was never a real Marshall fan, but this combo really turned me on to them.
    2) Gibson Les Paul Jr Amp. This is the newer model not the vintage, 2006 or so. Hand wired and very Champ like. Got this for $299 years ago. Definitely a bargain.
    3) Gibson Goldtone Ga-15 RV - In pentode mode it is supposedly 6 watts which is what I normally use. Very Vox like with great tone. This may be one of my favorites.
    4) Fender Champion 600 - Replace the grill cloth, put a nice Tung Sol 6V6 in and Weber Alnico 6 and it sound great as as my bedroom amp.

Come to think of it, my only amp that has more wattage is my Princeton Reverb RI. I sold off my Super Reverb & Vibrolux awhile back. I'm an at home/studio guy to put this in perspective.

Any other 5 watt admirers out there?

2. mr zurkon

mr zurkon Member

3. 0010 0001 0011 1111 1110

0010 0001 0011 1111 1110 Member

5 watt amps are great. I love to aby my fender bronco and ac4tv. They're just loud enough for light rehearsals and perfect for living room practice. One of my favorite set ups is running my bronco into a 212 cab. More headroom and just the right amount of crunch.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've got 4, 3 working right now

'64 Fender BF Champ (needs repairs)
    Monoprice 5w
    Hotone Purple Wind
    Hotone British Invasion

5. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

For live/gigging situations, I find myself wanting 40-50 watts. Not necessarily for the volume, I have just begun to notice a tremendous difference in feel between low and mid power amps. 15-20 watts was missing something unexplainably so, but the 4--50 watt heads never disappoint me.

That being said, I just picked up an Ibanez TSA5 1x10 combo. I'll be throwing in a Ragin Cajun early next week. I will report once that is completed.

6. fitz

fitz Member

The AC4TV also interested me too, but GAS has been overuled by wifey. Hate to say, but I'd Like to give that a try as well.

7. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Member

5 watts is enough. Sound real good
    Here are ones I have. All are great and fun to play through

Star Nova - probably the best - old school rock
    Victoria 815
    Swart 6v6se - a Swart amp, what else to say?
    Milkman Half Pint - nice
    Milkman One Watt - with a fuzz in front, yeah
    Tungsten Mosaic II - this guy make good amps
    National 1210 - classic old tones cranked - very cool
    Magnatone Magna 108 - I like old amps - I like Magnatone
    Laney Lionheart LT5-112

Also have a Reinhardt Mini-me which comes in at a heavy duty 8 watts

8. Darkness

Darkness Member

9. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

5 watts is all I need for practicing at home. Right now I'm playing through a Gries 5 - fantastic cleans with a great master volume.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

5 vs. 15 watts through 2 fairly efficient speakers at 12 ft. ... You are talking about maybe 5-6dB difference in peak SPL.

5 watts is enough to cause permanent hearing damage and enough to be heard over a drummer.

What it isn't enough for is 1. Having tons and tons of headroom. 2.Blowing out most mic cartridges when recording

ToneGrail and Scrapperz like this.
  11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

The Class 5 doesn't get a heap of love, but I dig mine. Great little amp.

12. mark123

mark123 Member

I've been using a Lexicon Signature 284 head into a G12K-85 loaded 2X12 cab or a Emmi loaded 2X10 (or on occasion, one speaker from each) as my primary amp for 10+ years. Tried a few other low wattage amps over the years, but always seem to gravitate back to the Lexi. Bought a 2nd one awhile back just in case. There are probably better low wattage amps out there, but the Lexi does what I want/need it to do. Class-A stereo, dual masters, stereo loop, slave amp output (feeds a Peavey 50/50 if needed) and XLR recording outputs tapped after the EL-84 power output.

apalazzolo likes this.
  13. Serenity

Serenity Member

I use my Laney Lionheart a lot for home practice and as a grab and go for jamming with mates when i can't be bothered with my bigger Marshalls.
    Had the Marshall Class 5 combo but found it sounded quite boxy, loved it through a 4x12. Am tempted to pick up the head version with a 2x12 cab and run it in stereo with the Lionheart.

Alpo likes this.
  14. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

i have an Ulbrick Firebottle 5 watt amp made in Melbourne, Australia. I use it for a low volume jazz band, micing the amp into a PA. Sounds perfect! I usually bring a higher powered amp (Ulbrick club20) just in case but so far..5 watts does it for me live with this band

15. spayne99

spayne99 Member

My amps are a Princeton Reverb clone (Vintage Sound 15), and the Gibson GA-5 reissue that I picked up recently for $300 or so.

Both are great amps. The PR clone has 8 knobs and the Gibson has 1 knob!

16. fitz

fitz Member

Right one Bluesful! I owned the combo Class 5 but they (3) had all had the dreadful tube rattle. The Class 5 head is a real Marshall Plexi sounding especially with the Avatar cab. My drummer who is pretty much a heavy metal drummer approves and it keeps up with him w/o any problem.

Also as spayne99 mentions the Gibson GA-5 is a nice amp. Seems like got that for about the same price. All amps mentioned are more than enough for at home or studio use. Hey the Champ was good enough for Clapton during the Layla sessions. Kudos for the Silverface Champs as well. Had one of those and foolishly sold that a couple of years ago,

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  17. Boris the Blade

Boris the Blade Member

I owned a Marshall class 5 and a kustom defender 5h and preferred the kustom. Just suited my style better. They can be had cheap and are great modding platforms if you're into that. Can run it with a 4, 8, and 16 ohm cab. I put a wgs et65 in the 1x12 cab and it smoked. Took it to practice a couple times and had no trouble keeping up with a drummer. And he's a hard hitter. Blew me away. For low wattage right now I'm using an ac4c1-12 which is also plenty loud.

deathrider817 likes this.
  18. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I have a 73 Vibro Champ and it's my favorite amp, hands down.

19. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I sort of went 5w crazy a while ago having a bunch but am down to just one now, Vicky 518. Of all the ones I did own, the 5112 was my favorite. It was just perfect for home use. After I sold all the 5w amps, I missed the Vicky most, decided to replace it, but went with a 518 instead for my F style guitars. I love it, it's not boxy at all, and there's just something about running a Strat or Tele through a 50s Champ (or clone).

20. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I have a Swart STR-Tweed that is one snarly assed little bitch.

Mildwest and DHC like this.