5-watts . . . Bugera or Blackstar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ddeand, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ddeand

ddeand Member

Bugera V5
    or
    Blackstar HT-5

I've been reassessing my needs (as opposed to my wants) and have come to the conclusion that I need a 5-watt amp for my home use. I like the idea of being able to swap out tubes and speakers and am able to a few board mods as well. I'd like to have an amp that can get more than just one sound, but I don't need the type of palette that you might find on a modelling amp. In the past, I have owned everything from a Fender Super Six to a Bandmaster Reverb to a Tweed Vibrolux to a Roland JC77 and Tweed Champ (plus about 10 other amps). All were just fine, but now I need something smaller. Here's what will likely go into my setup

• Baja Tele and a '59 Guild T-100 - both single coil guitars
    • Hall of Fame Reverb and an overdrive pedal
    • For other stuff, I'll use a cheap Boss Multi-effects pedal
    If I go with the Bugera, I'll try to shoehorn a 10" speaker into it (I'm not an 8-inch speaker fan), and I would do some of the recommended mods to find the tone I want. If I go with the Blackstar, I would have no problem getting a head unit and running it through a cab (but I'd rather go the combo route). If I get the time, I'll see if these are both available to try, but that may not happen.

If any of you can comment on these two amps and give me some idea of how they might compare, I'd really appreciate it. The more info I have going in will make the selection process easier. I would also appreciate suggestions to alternatives to these two amps.

Thanks.
    Dean

2. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

Have you considered the Fender Pro Junior? It's 15 Watts, but its very compact, has a 10 inch speaker and sounds amazing. It gets a lot of love here and pretty much everywhere.

3. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

VHT Special 6. Hand-wired turret board, easy to mod, half-power switch, switchable boost, does the tweed and BF thing very well. About $200 for the head and $225 for the combo. I believe there is a 12" cab available as well.

Didn't care for the Blackstar I tried out-Sounded OK for modern gain tones but that was it.
    Haven't played a Bugera but their reliablity has been questioned.

4. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I tested a Bugera the other day and was quite impressed. there is enough room for a 10" speaker and I'd just cut a new baffle if I go that route. But the stock speaker is really surprising. I'm not so sure a 10" would do it any good. And the 'verb, oh man the sweeeeeet 'verb..................

5. ddeand

ddeand Member

Thanks for the input and suggestions - I appreciate it. I'll take a look at the the other amps and see if they might work. I have owned a Pro Jr., and it was pretty nice. I think I liked the vintage Champs and Vibro Champs that I've owned better, though. Maybe I'll stick those back on my short list. I might have time today to swing by the local GC and see what they have.

Thanks again for the help!

Dean

6. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Marshall Class 5 in either head or combo. Great little amp and really can scream if you need it too.

7. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

You mention the ability to swap out different tubes. I subscribe to the daily deals at Hello Music and they currently have a deal on a Jet City 5 watt head and cab for $269 delivered that give you the options of swapping in/out a variety of power tubes a la THD. Here's a link:

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=13206

If you go for it and have a few extra seconds, feel free to input jimicoltrane@gmail.com as the referring person. I think after I refer 1,000 I get free strings or the like.

I haven't played many in this category but have owned/played the Laney L5T-112 and it's a great sounding amp. Heavy and not as cheap as others but really well made and sounds great. Should be $450-500 used.

8. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I switched from a Matchless Spitfire (15W) to a Matchless Baby (6W) for the same reasons and have never looked back. It sings at non-deafening home and stage volumes and is plenty loud for any use I could ever need it for (as my amp is usually miked when I play out anyway).

9. ddeand

ddeand Member

All these suggestions are really appreciated! You don't know how difficult this is going to make things, but I guess that's why we mess around with this stuff.

As much as I have liked the old Fender Champs and Vibro Champs, the best small amp I have ever owned was a Savage Macht 6 (had two of those over the years) - they were absolutely stunning in every sense, but they are a little pricey for my needs right now.

I'll check out the latest suggestions. Thanks!

Dean

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

I dun gots me a used SCXD fo unda 200 bucks, same price as the V5.(which I used to own.) pretty good little amp, so good I gots me a V22, in time, it just seemed to bulky and re bought the SCXD.
    I put a weber 10" dt series speaker, sovtek 5051 pre amp tube, and jj unmatched power tubes. sounds like a 12 incher.
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck

11. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

those 5w Bugeras are really, really cool
    good stuff!

12. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

Blackstar > Fender > VHT > Bugera. Played the VHT and Blackstar today. The talk about the VHT be too bright and stiff is quite accurate. The HT1 was real throaty too.

13. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I'd have to agree. Just picked one up used and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

14. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Vox AC4 TV, they rock, its as simple as that and boy do they sound good with a telecaster.

15. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Ht5 is one of my favorite low watt heads. At least for tones I prefer.