5 Way in a '56 Relic?

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '56 Relic Strat. It has the 3 way in it stock. I purchased a 5 way a while ago and never installed. Because the middle is not reverse wound I never really felt compelled to install the 5 way. I wouldn't get the hum cancel from the 2 and 4 positions.

So the question is should I bother to install?

Will the tone in the 1 3 & 5 positions suffer as a result of the 5 way?

These are probably pretty nit-picky questions but hey, it's the gear page and I'm sure someone has experimented.

I'm sure Hogy knows but he's probably cutting bait for tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Dave

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '56 Relic Strat. It has the 3 way in it stock. I purchased a 5 way a while ago and never installed. Because the middle is not reverse wound I never really felt compelled to install the 5 way. I wouldn't get the hum cancel from the 2 and 4 positions.

So the question is should I bother to install?

Will the tone in the 1 3 & 5 positions suffer as a result of the 5 way?

These are probably pretty nit-picky questions but hey, it's the gear page and I'm sure someone has experimented.

I'm sure Hogy knows but he's probably cutting bait for tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Dave

Dave, not cutting bait, but tying flies as we speak.

You don't need a 5-way. Try to balance your 3-way in between. Old school style. If it won't stay, stick a diagonally cut matchstick or toothpick between the switch's blade and the pickguard slot to keep it in place. You'll be able to get the in between positions that way, just fiddle around.

Decide from there if you like those sounds and go with a 5-way if you do. There's no sound difference between a 3-way and a 5-way. It's strictly mechanical. Those are prehistoric telephone switch board switches. Just two more notches in the five way's blade for a spring loaded stop to hit.

Hogy

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Would definately put a 5 way in
some like the in-between positions better without RW/RP

Great tones in those positions with the 56 pickups

there is no diff in tone between a 3-way and 5-way
in the other positions

Not sure which switch hogy has installed, but the Fender
3-ways are almost impossible to balance
I usually rip the corner off a price tag when I'm at GC
when I want the in between setting on a 3 way, you
can wedge it in the switch slot....but this is not long term

the conversion is simple, done it many times

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Dave, not cutting bait, but tying flies as we speak.

You don't need a 5-way. Try to balance your 3-way in between. Old school style. If it won't stay, stick a diagonally cut matchstick or toothpick between the switch's blade and the pickguard slot to keep it in place. You'll be able to get the in between positions that way, just fiddle around.

Decide from there if you like those sounds and go with a 5-way if you do. There's no sound difference between a 3-way and a 5-way. It's strictly mechanical. Those are prehistoric telephone switch board switches. Just two more notches in the five way's blade for a spring loaded stop to hit.

Hogy
Thanks for the tip.

Streamers or dry flies? What'cha catching these days?

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Would definately put a 5 way in
some like the in-between positions better without RW/RP

Great tones in those positions with the 56 pickups

there is no diff in tone between a 3-way and 5-way
in the other positions

Not sure which switch hogy has installed, but the Fender
3-ways are almost impossible to balance
I usually rip the corner off a price tag when I'm at GC
when I want the in between setting on a 3 way, you
can wedge it in the switch slot....but this is not long term

the conversion is simple, done it many times
It's easy for sure. Just wondering if it was worth my half hour. Thanks!

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Dave, I was tying up #16 bead head Prince Nymphs. The local Wildlife and Fisheries stocked rainbow trout for the winter in local lakes. Most are gone now, but I still get lucky every now and then. If not, the Princes catch bluegills and crappie.
It's a nice distraction until conditions are right to hit the coast again and catch real fish.

How'd that switch thing go for you?

Dylan61

A Pheasant Tail #12 is the only one you need,

or #14 maybe a goldhead version, thats all..well a small black spider can do the trick but thats about.., now I think of it, a red tag was a nice one too one day..

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Killcrop,
I balance my 3 way in my '56.
I'm one that finds the 2 and 4 positions better sounding without the RWRP middle pickup.
I got the 5 way with the guitar but have never yet installed it as my 3 way stays in the in between positions very well.

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
Its not a real '56, so you may as well take advatage of one of the positive changes Fender made for the strat. I changed mine right away and have never looked back. Infact now I don't focus on balancing and instead just quickly change to the combination that works for the song.

rastus

Killcrop,
I balance my 3 way in my '56.
I'm one that finds the 2 and 4 positions better sounding without the RWRP middle pickup.
I got the 5 way with the guitar but have never yet installed it as my 3 way stays in the in between positions very well.

I have a 5 way in my original 62, the 3 way is in the case. All my newer stuff has the 5way installed. I also prefer the sound of the older guitars....don't care for the RWRP sound at all.

Trending Topics