• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

5 way rotary to 3 way with push/pull PRS CU24

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
I've searched and seen a few posts, also downloaded the wiring diagram from PRS tech that includes 2 different scenarios for wiring.
Anyone have a diagram or schematic other than what's on the PRS website? The 2 diagrams are different enough that I"m not sure which one to use? and I did buy a pre-wired supposed drop in harness that isn't wired like either of the two on the prs site, purchased from Jack Gretz.
I may have found a solution by using alligator clips and moving leads around before soldering, but I thought I would ask if anyone had a sure fire wiring diagram before I heat the iron.
Thanks!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I've searched and seen a few posts, also downloaded the wiring diagram from PRS tech that includes 2 different scenarios for wiring.
Anyone have a diagram or schematic other than what's on the PRS website? The 2 diagrams are different enough that I"m not sure which one to use? and I did buy a pre-wired supposed drop in harness that isn't wired like either of the two on the prs site, purchased from Jack Gretz.
got links for these variations?

i have a feeling that they're all functionally identical, and whichever one is easiest to wire is the one to use.

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
thanks @walterw, here are the schematics from PRS support. The wiring of the cap to the volume pot is different in each, which I don't understand wiring anyway very well. I'm trying to use alligator clip jumpers so I only have to solder one time.
wiring the switch the way both schematics show, I don't get much output from the neck pickup. If I do away with the red wire it shows between the switch and the push/pull control, and add the neck pickup hot to the other side of the 3 way switch, it seems to work. Might be all I need to do.
https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom3waytoggle.pdf
And as I mentioned, I bought the supposed "drop in" pre-wired harness from Jack Gretz at NE music center, but no instructions came with the harness.

walterw

thanks @walterw, here are the schematics from PRS support. The wiring of the cap to the volume pot is different in each...
yeah, that's the only difference i see between the two, and it's a minor difference at that: when the cap is going to the clockwise lug of the volume it's considered "modern" wiring, while when that cap goes to the center lug it's "50s wiring", which acts a little different when you turn the controls down. (how the tone pot itself is wired doesn't change anything, it's only about how all that connects to the volume pot.)

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Walter. One thing still puzzling me is why the neck pickup hot wire is not connected to the 3 way switch in the schematic. I know the bridge and neck pickup hot wire colors are reversed, and it shows the bridge hot connecting to the switch, but shows the neck hot connecting to the push/pull

walterw

One thing still puzzling me is why the neck pickup hot wire is not connected to the 3 way switch in the schematic.
the neck hot gets to the toggle through the push-pull. that red wire from the push pull either sends the neck hot or the neck "splitting wire" to the toggle.

the bridge gets its "splitting wire" sent to ground, which is how PRS arranges it so that the single coils that get left on in each pickup are opposite each other, allowing the middle setting on the toggle to still hum-cancel even in pulled-up single coil mode.

kinda strange, agreed.

(the principle is that the "splitting wire" will switch off one coil or the other depending on whether it's connected to hot or to ground.)

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks again, Walter. I tried with my jumpers to add the red from the p/p to the switch and it resulted in half volume on the neck pickup and no difference when engaging the p/p to split.
There are two different harnesses, one has only one red wire, like this one (the one I received)

The second has this extra red wire, but it's hard for me to determine where the wires go from the photo. I think I should have bought this one, but didn't know there were different ones before I ordered.

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to try and wire it like the "current" schematic above and see what happens. I could have alligator clips touching and not realize it, so I'll try and make things permanent.
Thanks for the help.

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
Well, that didn't work. I ended up removing the red wire from the 3 way to the P/P, and attaching the neck pickup hot wire to the 3 way. Seems everything works as far as volume, tone, splitting or whatever the P/P does, but I think I have a ground problem. I have the slightest hum through the amp that wasn't there before.
Back to the drawing board...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom