5 Way switch wiring gone awry! Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by james..., Dec 22, 2009.

1. james...

james... Member

I just wired my guitar up like this.

http://www.tremol-no.com/images/dim_8polerev2.jpg

I've triple checked everything. It's all where it's supposed to be. Yes I'm using Dimarzio's and yes I'm using the correct 8 pole switch.

However I've got two problems.

1. The 2nd position (two single coils) is silent. When I put it in that position it acts like a killswitch.

2. The first position (bridge pickup) sounds like it might be in split coil mode. Maybe it's just me, but this position sounds an awful lot like a strat to me.

I don't understand whats gone wrong. I've wired many guitars before. Usually it's something like a missed ground. But no. I checked all the grounds and everything. It's all perfect. No cold solders. I've unsoldered a resoldered each connection. I even tried a different 8 pole switch. I get the same outcome every time. So I either have it wired wrong or a wire is bad.

wtf is wrong?

2. GASattack

GASattack Member

Unless I am overlooking something, myself, i dont see anything wrong with the diagram ...

Humor me, what 5 way switch are you using ...

if its a stock switch, what kind of guitar is it ...

thanks

Kevin

3. james...

james... Member

The guitar is a Carvin C66.

I have tried two 5 way switches. One was the stock Carvin switch, and the other was an Ibanez YM-50. Both were the same style. Both gave me the same results.

Thanks for helping.

4. GASattack

GASattack Member

My pleasure ... it has me perplexed ... let me dig here a bit ....

:)

5. cc9cii

cc9cii Member

My guess is that the switch in the diagram is a custom one, and a normal fender type won't work. When I get home I'll think about it some more, but you may need to use another switch type and/or a different switch positions.

EDIT: is that 2nd position (the one with single coils from neck & bridge) in series or parallel?

6. james...

james... Member

Thanks. I have been digging a lot too.

I can take pics of the cavity if you want. But honestly...it's wired perfectly. Everything is perfect.

7. james...

james... Member

One thing though...

The actual Pot to output jack wiring I think is slightly different from the diagram.

But as far as the actual pickup wires, they are all exact.

But the different pot to output shouldn't affect my switch right? It has to be the pickup wires.

8. GASattack

GASattack Member

ok, more questions ....

the stock pickup configuration of the carvin guitar?

And were you having the SAME issues with both switches?

9. GASattack

GASattack Member

this is what I am trying to conclude ... the ibanez switch you have is defined as follows ...

the YM50 is a strat-style 5-way for use with three pickups. they look similar on the outside, but inside they're totally different. you can't replace one with the other and get the same pickup combinations.

10. GASattack

GASattack Member

no, that shouldnt be the culpret to your issues ... and yes, if you want to email me large photos, kevinspeace@hotmail.com

Kevin

11. james...

james... Member

I'll answer your questions one at a time.

1. I will have to dig up the original configuration diagram. I can find it in a sec.

2. When I got it with the stock pickups and stock wiring, it was all working fine.

3. Both switches had the same outcome. I rewired them both three times over. Every single time it had the same outcome.

12. GASattack

GASattack Member

by configuration ... I mean, was it a humbucker and one single coil, 2 humbuckers and one single, 3 single coils ..... what was the pickup layout on it

13. james...

james... Member

Two humbuckers. Everything is exactly as it looks in that diagram.

It's two dimarzio humbuckers for the record.

I'm going to take pics now.

14. GASattack

GASattack Member

15. cc9cii

cc9cii Member

I don't believe you can do that wiring with a 2 pole switch.

Looking at your pics, I'm not sure a 4 pole switch will fit in there, hopefully it will.

If you want me to draw up a diagram using a 2 wafer, 4 pole 5 way switch, then let me know and I'll see what I can do. I will need to know if any of the combinations are in "series" (other than the humbucker coils themselves being in series, obviously).

16. james...

james... Member

This one has basically been solved.

Big thanks to Kevin (gasattack) who did some serious research and scoped it all out.

17. GASattack

GASattack Member

If anyone is keeping up on the thread here, I will outline what happened via email and photographs.

James has a Carvin guitar that was hum-hum and he is replacing the pickups with Dimarzio Air Zone and Dimarzio Air Norton.
    His guitar had a 5 way blade switch with 8 inline terminals, but didnt offer the pickup configurations he wanted to use.
    He found his special pickup configuration via Ibanez, and he got an Ibanez 5 way blade switch, wired it up and it didnt work.

He shared with me that his Ibanez 5 way was part number YM50 which has the same pinout of a standard Stratocaster switch.
    That wasnt gonna work for the special switching he wanted (which was neck pickup humbucking in parallel in position 4 and neck pickup
    humbucking in series in position 5)
    I researched out and found out that the Carvin switch was identical in its pinout.

James' Carvin guitar does not leave much room for a mega-switch, so I found the Ibanez part number 3PS1SC5, which Ibanez had
    COR build with a different pinout on a standard 8 inline terminal, 5 way blade switch.

He ordered that switch, and I sent him a tutorial I wrote up on how to orient the switch in the guitar body, seeing that unlike a stratocaster
    switch that can be spun around, and with positions 2 and 4 of this new switch doing different things, it must be oriented correctly.
    How this is done, is with the switch in position #4, checking continuity between the 2nd and 3rd terminals, with terminal 1 being closest to the neck.

That was all I did ...

Good luck James!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009