5-way wiring setup with two DiMarzio pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GuitarGuy510, Jun 20, 2006.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey guys,

Well I was putting new pickups in my Ibanez RG 7 string and when I was removing them I realized that the bridge was a 4-conductor pickup and the neck was only a 2-conductor pickup? I planned on just wiring the new pickups in the same spot as the old ones, but both of the new pickups are 4-conductor? How do I properly install these on the 5-way switch to get the best tone? I know I want the humbucking in the neck and bridge to be in series, but I don't know how to wire everything together?? The 5-way has 8 switches that can have wire soldered to them. Any help guys? They have green, black, white, red and wire ground. HELP ME!!! :BITCH Thanks guys! :AOK

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

First of all it's good to make a diagram of the original wiring. Have you done that yet?

Ok for DiMarzio series, the black and white wires are soldered together. Red becomes hot. Green ground. Also the bare wire goes to ground. But it looks like the bridge pickup may be wired a little more elaborately. Maybe someone else can help you out with that.

3. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

yeah I made a diagram and I took like 15 pictures! :BEER Right now I have the original pickups desoldered and removed, and the new pickups are installed and waiting to be wired up! All I need is to figure out how to wire it! :rolleyes:

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

It would help us help you if you could scan that diagram and post it.

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

i am pretty sure that the stock ibby switch will not allow a series combination of the neck and bridge

if you replaced it with a P-type megaswitch, or a superswitch, you could get lots of combinations like that ... make sure it will fit into the cavity first (some ibbys - like mine - are too skinny to fit the new switch)

i highly recommend the p type megaswitch because it is idiot proof and gives 5 very useful options ... might require a mag flip and reverse installation to keep all the combos in phase and noise cancelling

t4d

6. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I took a couple shots of it yesterday from different angles in different lighting to show where the wires connected on the switch. Just for reference, the Brown Wire came from the Bridge pickup and the Gray Wire came from the Neck pickup. Here's a breakdown of the diagonal shot in case you can't see where they are connecting:

Pole 1: Thin Black wire (from Bridge pickup)

Pole 2: Thick white wire connected to Pole 7

Pole 3: Black wire grounded to the side of the Switch's metal casing

Pole 4: Thin white wire (from Neck pickup)

Pole 5: Thick white wire connected to Volume Pot tab #3

Pole 6: Thin red wire (from Bridge pickup)

Pole 7: Thin green wire (from Bridge pickup) AND Thick white wire from Pole 2

Pole 8: Thin red wire (from Neck pickup)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realized when I was looking over this that from the pictures I can't tell exactly where the white wire from the bridge pickup was connected to, but I think it was grounded out? Any help? To clarify, I want to wire the switch up to work like the following starting positions from neck to bridge (if possible?):

1. Neck Pickup only

2. Neck + Bridge Inside Coils (parallel)

3. Neck + Bridge Inside Coils (series)

4. Neck + Bridge Outside Coils (parallel)

5. Bridge Pickup only

They have a REALLY complex looking diagram for a 5-way rotary switch on the DiMarzio website that can accomplish this, but would a standard 5 way blade switch be able to do this too (without buying a new P-type megaswitch, if possible)? The diagram for the 3-way switch is easy to follow, so if I had a picture-based diagram I'd be set! This is what the 3-way switch looks like according to DiMarzio (http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/D.pdf). Any help with this? Thanks guys!! :)

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I'd recommend going with a Megaswitch or even a superswitch. You'll be able to get more combinations and you'll also be able to get rid of the cheap switch that came in the guitar. BTW, that's a personal peeve of mine, those kinds of switches. They work fine, I just don't like 'em :)

--chiba

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Possible but either P-type Megaswitch or Superswitch required. Also, if you want 2, 3 and 4 to be hum-cancelling, you will have to either flip one of the magnets, or install one of the pickups turned around 180 degrees (for example the bridge pu with the screws coil towards the neck and the slugs coil towards the neck). Each combination has a slightly different wiring, so choose Megaswitch or Superswitch and "flip magnet" or "turn around pu" and I'll tell you how to wire it up.

9. has-sound

has-sound Member

With Dimarzios, you would normally solder the Black and White wires together and tape them off. You would then make the Red hot and the Green ground. This would be series link wiring (normal humbucking). You now have two leads just like your original pup. Dont forget to solder the bare wire to the back of a pot.

-Stan