• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

500... 6 slots, 6 grand... Ideas?

Hola,

So, because someone made the suggestion I've been looking at 500 series stuff and trying to learn/understand it all. As with anything 'mix-n-match' there are myriad options and routes to travel down...

I'm wondering, what would you do with a 6 slot lunchbox and 6 grand? Make 2 'channel strips' of pre/comp/eq... have 4 different mic pres, one EQ and one compressor? 6 different mic pres? Something completely different?

I am already investing elsewhere in different mics... I record through an Apogee Quartet and a UA 710 Twin-Finity... and I only record acoustic guitars/electric guitars and some vocals. No drums. No brass. No orchestras.

I realise that some might suggest I don't 'need' a 500 series... and that might be true. But I might want to experiment and learn with some analog hardware devices instead of always being 'in the box'. I'm thinking of an average of a grand per slot is a good starting point (I'm unlikely to get it all in one go... but you never know).

Thanks.

Dubious

i've only got 5 slots filled

1 x API512c mic pre - you've gone API you may as well start with the classic
1 x shadow hills gama mic pre - has switchable transformers so you can mimic various pres - gets me neve flavours to pair with the API
1 x API 525 compressor - really love this thing super transparent - never seems to pump - use it on bass come mix down time
2 x purple action compressors - basically gives me 2 channels or stereo 1176 style compression

i like this arrangement as i use the comps on the mixdown - kick / snare / bass usually.

and having the 2 pres i can track 2 mics on an amp, kick and snare (and use cheaper pres for the rest) or stereo overhead whatever i feel deserves the better pres.

1 x API512c mic pre - you've gone API you may as well start with the classic
1 x shadow hills gama mic pre - has switchable transformers so you can mimic various pres - gets me neve flavours to pair with the API [...]
i like this arrangement as i use the comps on the mixdown - kick / snare / bass usually. and having the 2 pres i can track 2 mics on an amp, kick and snare (and use cheaper pres for the rest) or stereo overhead whatever i feel deserves the better pres.
A little bit of online googling seems to imply that the 512 is used extensively for percussive stuff... as I mentioned, I'm not recording drums (at least not in the near future), just electric and acoustic guitars (and maybe some vocals). Have you used the 512 or Gama on guitars?

Dubious

the api512 is one of the most ubiquitous mic pres in the industry since the 70s. Anything tracked on an API console (really the only rival is Neve) is running a 512 - so thats pretty much everything from the white stripes to fleetwood mac's rumours.

512 + sm57 = rock guitar

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
Get at least one channel of AwTAC Awesome Channel Amplifier. Not cheap, but very much one of those OMG pieces. The Purple Action comp is a must have, too. API 550A or B for eq.

Dubious

the API is indeed very popular for drums so look at it as a very QUICK / ACCURATE sounding preamp with a slight in your face quality - if we're talking acoustic guitars think finger picking, punchy rhythm guitars

A Neve flavour has a rounder / warmer kind of tone - think mellow strumming or rhythm guitar where you want a bit more smear / compression.

Interesting (and thanks, dubious)... in my mind–and related to my first post–I'm trying to think about using 4 slots with two pairs of pres (I like stereo recording), of different 'flavours' and then using the last two slots for something I can use for additional processing/flavouring at mixdown (i.e. a compressor or something like the ladder filter mentioned earlier).

Some of this is just a desire to learn and get a feel for some analog processing (as I've been almost entirely in-the-box up to now).

Get at least one channel of AwTAC Awesome Channel Amplifier. Not cheap, but very much one of those OMG pieces. The Purple Action comp is a must have, too. API 550A or B for eq.
Might take a while for me to wrap my head around what those AwTAC devices are... thanks for the heads up. More reading, ahead...

Thought I might throw this into the mix, too... I was wondering, I might end up going for two 'flavours' of preamps, but in pairs (for stereo)... I wondered if there is much (if any difference) between buying two 500 series modules of a popular 2ch regular rack device? For instance, two P1s instead of one Pacifica?

kcprogguitar

I set up a pair for stereo recording. RND 511 w a Lindell PEX 500 Pultec style eq. I still have two spaces left.

I'm set for guitar. I do compression in the box.

I set up a pair for stereo recording. RND 511 w a Lindell PEX 500 Pultec style eq. I still have two spaces left.
Interesting, I've been looking at those 511s but also the 517s... Hadn't come across the Lindell before. When you say 'set for guitar' are you mostly electric, acoustic or both?

kcprogguitar

Interesting, I've been looking at those 511s but also the 517s... Hadn't come across the Lindell before. When you say 'set for guitar' are you mostly electric, acoustic or both?
I'm using a 57 close mic'd, sometimes two. Or a 57 with a Neumann TLM 102. That's for electric.

I have a pair of Peluso Cemc6, for acoustic.

Thinking of a Meris 440 pre. It has an effects loop in the preamp. Nice for delays, etc.

ronzie

the api512 is one of the most ubiquitous mic pres in the industry since the 70s. Anything tracked on an API console (really the only rival is Neve) is running a 512 - so thats pretty much everything from the white stripes to fleetwood mac's rumours.

512 + sm57 = rock guitar
512's never lived in a console. Most early Api consoles had 312's cards. The Api Legacy's have 212's. Still a tried and true pre albeit different than the consoles.

loudboy

2 ch of super clean pre - like Hardy or Millennia

2 ch of colored - maybe one API, one Great River

One channel of EQ

One channel of 1176-style comp

I'd probably go with standard rack stuff, tho - you could save some money of you bough used.

I'd probably go with standard rack stuff, tho - you could save some money of you bough used.
Thanks for the input, loudboy... can I ask; why rack over 500? I guess it fits into the question I posed, earlier; is there any difference between, for instance, two A Designs P1s and a Pacifica?

(For some reason I'm just thinking that 500 will be easier to mix/match and buy/sell and, so far, I've managed to avoid getting an actual rack unit).

Last edited:

Trending Topics