$500 - $800 Single Cutaway?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by rickeb1, Jun 19, 2006.

1. rickeb1

rickeb1 Member

Hi,

I've read most of the posts related to recommended guitars in this range, but I'd like to narrow the scope a bit. I'm looking for a good-sounding single cutaway, with pickup, and a low action. I like to play up on the higher frets, hence the preference for the cutaway. I've been trying out a few in stores, and it surprises me a little that the action can be so high on guitars with a cutaway, which you assume they know would be for playing the higher frets. Anyway, I tried a Takamine EG530SSC in a music store, liked the tone, and it seemed to play well. Went back a week later, it was gone. So, got one off eBay (I know, I know :-( Action seemed very high. Took it to two different techs, and they couldn't do much with it. So, back for sale it goes, and my search continues.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this!

~ Rick

2. mitrich

mitrich Member

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

Check out anything made by Godin: seagull, la patrie, art & luthrie, etc

the best bang for the buck guitars I've played, bar none

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Alvarez MD90C. Solid Spruce top, Solid Rosewood back & sides.

I think they average about $900 new, but you could find a deal for much less. Either new/discounted, or slightly used...I'm not a fan of acoustics with built in electronics, but the Masterworks series of Alvarez are unbeatable for the price and quality.

The MF80C is a model you can get for about $750 brand new. It's got a solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides...same electronics setup. More of a contoured folk style bodyshape w/ the cutaway.

They come w/ bone nut and saddle.

The cases that come w/ the Alvarez Masterworks guitars are wonderful. Very classy and great protection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

The Blueridge's have a very unique neck shape for an acoustic. It's very very thin. Definately not for everyone. I haven't played their 163's, but I know that the laminate top models sound very cheap. For chinese made guitars, I'd recommend Alvarez, Guild GAD, and Epiphone Masterbilt over the Blueridges.

6. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Since you probably saw everything I had to say on this when you did your search, I won't belabor the point, but you owe it to yourself to give the Guild GAD-40C a try if there are any in your area.

The Breedlove Atlas dread and OM are pretty sweet too (especially the OM) and you should be able to find a Larrivee -03 model toward the high end of your range.

I'd also be curious about the solid-wood Martins in that range, though I haven't have a chance to try them myself.

7. rickeb1

rickeb1 Member

Thank you all *very* much for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it! Guess I'll have to spend some more time in the music stores to try all of these out ;-) This gives me a great idea of what to consider. Thanks again!

~ Rick

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

Seagull S6+C, you'll find it for $450 w/hardshell case - a truly fine acoustic with a most righteous tone.

[​IMG]

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Member

I played a Garrison the other day and it sounded great. I wasn't a cutaway, but they do have them. Very nice and excellent attention to detail. Especially for the money.

Brenton