$500 guitar for use with 5150 combo?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vroom, Mar 17, 2006.

1. vroom

vroom Member

$500. To be played through a 5150 combo. Suggestions please. :)

2. einstein

einstein Member

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

go play a bunch of epi les pauls and see if you find a really nice one.

4. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

if you want to go for a vintage Eddie sound and look you could probably pick up what was a top of the line Kramer back in the day.

5. vroom

vroom Member

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

Hey vroom, what kind of music are you playing? What type of guitars have you played in the past that you've liked? What were the reasons you've like the guitars you've liked? What were the reasons you didn't like the guitars you didn't like?

I'd love to help ya, but you gotta help me help you. :)

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Cort Matt Murphy, Hammer , Prs CE, Warmoth. Lots of good stuff in that price Range.

8. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

9. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Check out the PRS SE line.

To me, these are the hands-down winners in that price range.

10. vroom

vroom Member

All right, fellas. I'll give you lowdown. I was trying to not influence the outcome right away, but here goes.

I've been on my cheap strat copy since I began. Recently I bought my first decent amp (5150 combo) and the strat's shortcomings are showing through. It's much too harsh, and the 60 cycle hum is a real no-no on hi-gain amps. I need something with humbuckers and a thicker, perhaps smoother tone.

The shops around here are lacking. To illustrate, I can't find an LP anywhere. So I'd be really interested in trying one.

Every guitar I have tried has had its pros and cons. Today, I tried an EBMM Axis Sport, Ibanez SA220FM (shop guy's suggestion), and a PRS SE Custom.

EBMM Axis Sport
    Pros:Awesome neck! Skinny, thin, and fast. The Sport is also quite versatile.
    Cons:This model was ugly black. I'm not sure if I'd like a trem or Floyd in the Axis, but this one had a trem. And it sported a price tag of $750.

Ibanez SA220FM
    Pros: Neck was comparable to Axis. Supposedly just thicker than a wizard. Hardware seemed decent. Looked good.
    Cons: Too close to my strat in terms of harsh treble and lacking low end.

PRS SE Custom
    Pros: Looked good. Felt well-made.
    Cons: Seemingly cheap hardware and tuners. Not very comfortable. Fat and wide neck that was a bit sticky.

So based on the above, I wouldn't be surprised if I get a bunch more recommendations for an Epi (Elitist) LP. Heck, if I find a good deal on the 'Bay, I'm sure I'll go for it.

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

I'm not saying you should bid on these by any means. I just thought it would be easier than typing a bunch of stuff...

Carvin Contour 66
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-Contour-66-C66-C-66-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ7399999590QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Just slightly out of your price range and you may end up finding that you would like different pickups, but those pickups are miles better than what you have now. Carvins are known for their comfortable necks as well as quality construction, hardware and materials. Buying used will ensure that you don't lose your shirt if you decide you don't like it and want to turn it.

Hamer
    These rock harder than the PRS SEs IMHO. You can probably get one a little less fancy than this one at an even lower price:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hamer-Sunburst-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ7398316903QQcategoryZ38082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edwards
    I would take one of these before an Epi but that's just me...no wait, a lot of other people would too! :) Again, your mileage may vary, but these are damn nice Les Paul copies for the money.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hamer-Sunburst-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ7398316903QQcategoryZ38082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ibanez
    The shredder's special!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG470FM-Plus-Metal-Method-Videos_W0QQitemZ7398394444QQcategoryZ33043QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Schecter C-1
    Another real good guitar for the money. Look for a deal on one of these to get it in your price range. Those deals are out there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-C-1-BLACKJACK-NEW-WORLDWIDE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ7398518161QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Peavey Wolfgang
    This guitar may give you everything that you liked about the Axis Sport but do it within your price range. This guitar is available in a hard tail as wall as with locking trem.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Wolfgang_W0QQitemZ7399966471QQcategoryZ33046QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As I said above, I'm not advocating you bid on any of those auctions. Just using them for reference. There are a lot of good deals out there on used guitars in your range.

Good luck!

12. baald

baald Member

for 500 it is possible to put together a warmoth build-up if you play your cards right. look at the showcase. <waiter voice> May i recommend the alder "soloist" body with two humbucker routes and route for teh trem of your choice. A svelte 3.5 lbs. And a svelte price of $160. Mate it up with a strat neck, many flavor to choose form starting at about $140 with the fretsof your choice. </waiter voice>. Get your hardware/pups off of ebay and rip. Tru-oil on the neck, tung oil or reranch nitro on the body. $25 tuners, $100 pair of decent used buckers, $50 trem, scrounge some knobs, pots, jack and switches. Add a weekend of your time. Could be awesome. If you need a nice neck with a locking nut and huge frets with nitro finish, contact me offline (pm or email).

You could also juat replace the pups of your current guitar with maybe some of the dimarzio SC size HB's, which people have been praising.

Or redo the wiring/switching to allow for series connection of bridge/middle and neck/middle which will give you a quasi HB tone and cancel hum. That would be the cheapest to get you into higain approved electricals and could give you quite a bit of tonal posibilities and allow you to save up for perhaps a different class of instrument (i mean, wouldn't one of those EB axis be sweet? or a peavey wofgang to TRULY mate with that amp :). YOu'd need a mega switch or super switch (about 10 - 15 bucks) and a push-pull pot or two (5 - 10 each) to replace one of the present ones. Wiring diagrams at guitarnuts.com (i think, going off memory -- google "strat wiring diagram" to find lots of em). That's probably what i'd do, but i'm a tweaker and would much rather a better guitar if i could tweak what i have then wait. A good learning experiennce too.

baald

13. vroom

vroom Member

baald -
    Well, I would mess with my current guitar, but it has body and neck issues. (Actually, I have messed with it. I shielded it, star grounded it, blocked the trem, and changed to locking tuners.) I'd rather start with either a guitar that has everything I want, or one that has potential and go from there. BTW, I'm already a member at Guitar Nuts.

I thought about putting together a strat with good pups and hardware, but thought there might be something better out there for the money. Something that would offer a little less strat, a little more ______ tone. (_____ has yet to be determined.) I didn't want to rush into a partsocaster before I tried out some other styles.

bailnout - The Schecter C-1 Blackjack has always been in the list of posibilities. That Wolfgang looks good, but it's destined to go up with bids. I'm not opposed to used, but fret wear is a concern of mine. As for type of music, rock. A bit of classic, VH, Foo, all the way to an Avenged Sevenfold style. It's a 5150, so use your imagination. I'm trying to buy a guitar that will bond nicely with my amp.

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

I'd say you are on the right path. The most important thing is that YOU bond with the amp. It's as much of a musical instrument as your guitar.

15. vroom

vroom Member

Trust me, I'm stuck to it like glue. :dude
    Had a nice bonding session tonight. With my ETY earplugs in, some of the SC shrillness and 60 cycle hum was gone. It actually sounded quite good! Now if only I could get an entire audience to do the same...

16. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Ibanez RG-570. Stay away from the 470, the trem is inferior. You should be able to find'em used with hsc for $400.
    In new the PRS SE or G&L tribute or Godin.