$500 Tube Amp

Unadan

A friend of mine is looking to spend approx. $500 for a decent sounding tube combo amp (new). Is this realistic? If so shoot me some examples. Thanks!

I've got a Blues Jr. that I paid about this much for several years back but I had to upgrade the speaker to a Vintage 30 over stock to open up the sound a bit.

kingjoemom

Budget?
Styles?
New/Used?

And yes you can get a tube combo for a hundred bucks. You can get a decent one for 500. I paid 350 for my LG, and it kills.

Unadan

Well budget I already mentioned - style - blues to alternative to metal and preferably new.

jwalk24

dood i have a traynor custom 20 with the wine tolex and wheat cloth set up like a british circuit with a greenback speaker its the best thing to my dr.z maz 18 that is in that price range. owned a blues jr with all the mods and upgrade speaker and the traynor kills. owned both the hot rod deville 2x10 and 4x10 to loud. this is a serious amp with a cheap price only 20 watts and very light. perfect amp for small clubs studio church and even bedroom. let me know if your interested. its in near new condition comes with the footswitch.

wattfab

Platinum Supporting Member
ditto on the Fender HR deluxe or deville, used one for a lot less than $500, then money left to upgrade the speaker

jwalk24

deville and deluxe to loud and dont have a good components the circuit boards fry and the jacks are cold soldered to the board and come undone all the time. money pits imo.

Shiny McShine

Used H&K 20th Anniversary Edition--18 watts of EL84 tube tone. Very underrated. They can be had for about $300 on Ebay.

docmh

Sometimes you can find Music Man amps on Ebay for around that price, and they're
great amps. I bought an 112RD50 for $350.00 a couple years ago, and I'm amazed at how good it sounds.

mesa/kramer

Why does it have to be new?

You can get a much better amp for the Money if you buy used.

Mesa F series and DC series combos sometimes I see in the $500 - $600 range.

amc

for roughly that amount, you probably can find a used rivera
they are seriously underpriced in the used market

it is in another league than all the other amps mentioned so far...........

just my 2 cents

small axe

i agree with fender hot rod or deville....the vox night train is nice but i think u need a cab with it....dont know if it comes in combo....or used amp that is nice