50's Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by K-man, Sep 11, 2006.

1. K-man

K-man Member

I installed a set of WCR Darkbursts in my Hamer and rewired it to the 50's wiring. The guitar has 2 volume pots, a master tone pot and a 3-way switch. I wired like the schematic below, but to do the 50's wiring I wired the capacitor between the middle lug of the switch and lug 1 of the tone pot, I grounded lug two of the tone pot, and then ran a wire from lug 1 of the tone pot to the output jack.

[​IMG]

Problem is when I roll the tone knob down below 5 the volume decreases, and below 2 I get no sound whatsoever. Any ideas?

2. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

Check your tone pot and make sure that you have not conected the
    lug to ground like the volume pots.

The tone pot end wiper is not conected to ground but is open...
    if you conect the lug to ground you get a master volume like you have stated.

3. K-man

K-man Member

I connected the cap and output jack to lug 1, I grounded lug 2, but lug 3 isn't connected to anything.

4. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

I think the hot leads on the PU needs to go to the 3 way first for that setup ...

I really like the sound of 2 vol 1 tone pot setups it’s really worth the work...

Check your grounding harness to the tone pot as you can get tone/vol artifacts. Try disconnecting your ground and reconnecting in a new ground location.

I try to keep my grounding wire setups open on the ends. start to finish, and not loop the wires if pos.

5. K-man

K-man Member

I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks.

6. Junior

First of all, the schematic pictured IS "fifties' wiring".

What you're trying to do is put the capacitor before the resistor instead of after it, and any electronics nerd will tell you it makes no difference. It's like 3 + 5 = 5 + 3 = 8. The order doesn't matter. (And if you really believed it DID matter, and understood why, you would be using "modern" wiring.)

The switch pictured in the drawing does not appear to be a Swtichcraft switch; be careful not to confuse the output with the ground connections.

The output jack needs to be connected to the switch, on the other side of the cap.

Having moved the cap, you are now putting ALL the signal through it, and so the pot acts like another volume control instead of selectively acting on only the high frequecies.

7. K-man

K-man Member

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

8. K-man

K-man Member

Maybe you could please explain it to me.

9. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

Is the mid lug of the tone pot conected to ground? can't tell...

Basicly here is the 50's or BC rich's wire setup like SD. But i think the flying v has a one...
    [​IMG]

10. K-man

K-man Member

Yes. I think Junior is right, I should wire the switch and output jack to lug 1 of the tone pot and then solder the cap between lug 2 and ground.

11. rooster

rooster Member

That's not the problem. Look very carefully at the diagram above that Brandon posted. The order of the cap and the pot element for the tone control doesn't matter, what does matter is where the output is taken from and how the switch is wired. It's hard to tell in your photo, but the switch wiring looks weird.

rooster.

12. Junior

Actually, all you need to do is take the red wire from the jack off the tone pot and stretch it to where the cap connects to the switch. Leave the cap and everything else where it is.

As to the other, if you're moving the cap to the other side of the pot, closer to the pickups, then logically, any improvement would be maximised by connecting the caps directly to the pickups, which is modern wiring. ;)

13. K-man

K-man Member

Thanks for your help guys. I should have noticed that the SD schematic is 50's wiring. Anyway I rewired it to match the SD schematic and it sounds fantastic. No treble roll-off when I lower the volume (at least until 7).