50W Marshall ´68 Plexi / Komet 60

Earplayer

If you could get just one amp - what would be your choice........and why - tone, reliability,tone, value, tone, etc. ? :munch

Of course very subjective but lets hear some opinions...... maybe someone already had to decide between the Komet and a vintage Marshall...

Madison

Actually I played both yesterday, however the Marshall was a '67 Super Lead 100w. I preferred it over the Komet 60, plus a bunch of other amps. It's a legendary amp with tone to die for.

openG

slidealicious
Gold Supporting Member
my 69 Plexi Marshall 50w is the best amp i've played thru in the last 25 years !!!...

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
Boy thats's a tough one. A (good) plexi is hard to beat but the Komet 60 isn't a slouch by any stretch of the imagination either. Good plexi is the key word and you'll have to look a lot, lot harder harder and every K-60 I've pluged into sounded great. I think you should check into Germino amps as well for this type tone. I think Greg's amps do the plexi thing a little better.

Bigtone

I've played both too, take your pick , I think the komet is a little more aggresive than the marshall , just by a notch, both very good at their trick,

Bigtone

Fred

I did some crappy recordings, one with -68 plexi and one with the Komet Concorde (not the 60 you asking about) both are VERY nice amps.
I would choose the komet concorde over the 60 if you looking for the plexi territory, the 60 is more complex and unique while the concorde is more classic

Laplacian

Agreed. If you're after a "plexi" marshall tone, and also like the "fast" of the Komet, Cncorde is the right choice... and as said for consistency from amp to amp, Komet's are spot on. I have a "magic" plexi, but have often been told by long experienced amp tech that only about 10% of those old marshalls were magical. Combo of circuit (which you can tweak to) and Output Transformer (which you can't).

For a new "lead" circuit marshall I would either go for a Germino LV55 or a Komet Concorde, In gradual it is close to a straight marshall.

Earplayer

Thanks a bunch!

Nice video Fred!

Well........ i could get a ´68 50W Plexi for the same price a Komet would cost here in Europe - not cheap....:eeks... but i am gassing for these two amps for a long time. I love the sound of the K60 it´s unique and big sounding.

Actually i wanted to place an order for the K60 but i met a guy who is a vintage collector (bunch of old Fender amps and Fender Strats, etc.) and he offered me a 68 Princeton Reverb and a 68 50W Marshall Plexi with a 4x12 Checkerboard Cab with mid-70s G12Ms... ... I will check out the amps next week and if they sound really that good i will get the vintage amps instead of the K60 i think.....:huh...

p.s.
he also said he has a great 65 sunburst strat for sale.........ugghh

stump

I've only played a Komet 60 once and it was a real treat. I own a Metro JMP 50 1968 lead circuit and absolutely love it. I honestly would have a very hard time choosing but would go with the Marshall especially if it is a fine true 1968 piece and sounds great. Good luck this is a tough choice.

sinner

It depends on what tone and feel you want. I think Marshall & Komet are very different animals. I owned a Concorde and found is not like a Marshall, something very different to me. So if you had to have that "Marshall" sound and feel I'd get the vintage Marshall or something like the George Metropoulos replica (if you travel and gig a lot) over the Komet, but that's just me!

BTW, I don't own the Komet anymore but have a 1969 Marshall 100 watt Superbass.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I have been fortunate enough to own both a Concorde and a Plexi (never played a Komet 60). They are too different, IMO. The Plexi is THE sound of rock and reminds me of everything that I grew up listening to and why picked up a guitar 30+ years ago.

I ended up selling the Komet and keeping the Marshall. The Komet had its own voice, but I tend to gravitate towards amps that remind me of something (like music I grew up listening to). Kinda like being used to driving a Corvette and then driving a Porche. Awesome, but really different and not what I was used to. I agree the "fast" mode delivers the goods like nobody's business, but I tend to stick with the Les Paul/Marshall Plexi combo. That seems to be the formula for me (and others). YMMV.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
:huh

No kidding.

This is a 'trick question' right?

This is a freakin trick question! Both are awesome, I suppose with the Komet you get modern engineering and quality and a builder who could service, while the '68 you run the risk of the well mojo'd parts going south and you need to find a competent tech to service. Either one kicks a$$ tone wise, so it's hard to go wrong either way in that department.

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
The Plexi is THE sound of rock and reminds me of everything that I grew up listening to and why picked up a guitar 30+ years ago.

I need everybody to stand up and give a big AMEN. Well if you don't, it's still a cold hearted fact.

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Platinum Supporting Member
dunno...but back to back on a camcorder room mic...sounds like same ground covering. Had an old Marshall, always wanted to try a Komet, probably just go with that.

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
This is a freakin trick question! Both are awesome, I suppose with the Komet you get modern engineering and quality and a builder who could service, while the '68 you run the risk of the well mojo'd parts going south and you need to find a competent tech to service. Either one kicks a$$ tone wise, so it's hard to go wrong either way in that department.

Well, it's NOT really too tricky when the OP asks about "Value" let alone "Tone".

:cool:

Then it's a NO BRAINER.

Marshall BABY........ALL Marshall !

Earplayer

Of course the Marshall is another thing to the Komet - different animals. But i would not want the Komet as a "Marshall substitute" - the Komet imho is a masterpiece with it´s own thing going on...

I could live with either one - the Komet is a new amp and i think that is one forte. I would also gig that amp every now and then.

Well... like almost everyone else said - the 68 Plexi is the holy grail Marshall (at least to me) and i think that is one reason the value goes up and never down. A small box 68 Plexi is also very very hard to find these days..... the 68 Princeton Reverb would be a great match too.:YinYang

Trending Topics

Top Bottom