5150 Bias Mod DIY

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by marder explorer, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I've been a member for a little while here, but always lurked. Anyway, just picked up a 5150 block logo from a forumite over at harmony-central, and want to do the adjustable bias mod. Haven't seen it explained very well anywhere on the net.

My main question is: what kind of rating do I need on the pot/resistor, since it is in the bias supply? I read about one instance of using a miniature pot, so it fit easier, but that's not confirmed to work.

Any info?

2. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    I modded mine using a 10k 1/2 watt fullsize pot, and a 6.2K, 1/2 watt resistor. Send me a mail and I'll see if I can find a photo to send of the process.

Slick51

3. JerryP

JerryP Member

4. What a hackjob that cobbled install is.

Sad to think that somebody probably paid good money to have that done.

Thanks for the info Jerry, that's exactly what I needed.

5. Broken

Broken Member

Sorry to hi-jack. Jerry do you happen to have any pics of a bias mod for the 2 channel Dual Rectifier?

6. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    ME

Check your mail...if you didn't get it (it's a 3.15MB file) write back. I'll reduce the size and send it again.

Slick51

7. Got it, Slick.

Thanks!

Got my 1959 in today, so my attention is diverted from the 5150, well...still gotta sell it, I guess.

That's another thread.