5150 Clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ben_allison, Oct 12, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I'm wondering if there are any clones of the 5150.

I'm particularly interested in a clone of just the lead channel.

Might not be worth it since a used 5150 goes for about $600. Nonetheless, I thought I'd ask and see.

2. Shine

Shine Member

I loved my 5150, there's nothing a Bugera can imitate like it. Get the 5150 and boost the rythmn channel, you'll not need a clone.

3. doctord02

doctord02 Member

4. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Not sure if I'd ever get a Bugera...

I kinda meant along the Dr Z lines... he has original circuits that are very inspired by classic designs.

5. Julia343

Julia343 Member

There is nothing like the real thing..... oh that's an old commercial.

Seriously. For that late 80s sound? I use my 6505+ Crunch channel with a stock Ibanez TS808. Works fantastic. For metal? Just hit the lead channel.

I've also done a full preamp valve swap and went with JJs. Get rid of those Sovtek tubes. I put a ECC832 in V2. Normal gaiin ECC83S everywhere else and a high gain ECC83S Balanced in the PI. It works fine for me and gives me the tones I want. The lead channel, even with the slight gain reduction, can give that liquid metal sound. Eurotubes was not peddling snake oil with that valve.

Power tubes are still the stock Ruby.

6. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

That's the thing... I don't even really want anything other than the actual amp itself; I just want less of it; I only want the lead channel!

I'd love to have just the lead channel+power amp in a rack unit or small head case (a la Krank Rev Jr).

Oh well. Consider how inexpensive one can be had for, I'll just have to put up with the bulk of a full sized head.

7. jimborocker

jimborocker Member

The 5150 Combo was my main choice for over 10 years. The Green/Clean channel was voiced with way more articulation, and Gain input. The Green channel alone was able to produce MOST distorted Rock tones from the last 4 decades. Not so with the 5150 head. The Heads Clean channel was lifeless, and never clipped as well as the combo.However both the 5150 head, and the 5150 combo had the most intense gain on tap for over the top metal/EVH inspired runs. Although the combo is only 60 watts, its just as loud as the head. I use to plug straight into a mesa Rectifier 4 X 12, and bypass the 2 sheffield's. The combo big drawback was it weight weighing in at over 85 pounds!!Otherwise for $500.00 the 5150 combo can be had . Look on Craigslist too.Have a great day.

8. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The 5150 is a clone of the SLO.

My advice? I see block logo 5150's selling for 600.00. You should buy another and run two with a head switcher.

Matt

9. Stike

Stike Member

It's funny how different everybody is. I have a 5150 and I hate the red channel, wish it was 2 greens instead.

Find an old Peavey Rockmaster preamp, the tone you want for really cheap.

10. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

The 5150 is a clone of a SLO which is a clone of EVH's hot rodded Marshall.

11. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

And the marshall is a clone of a fender bassman and on and on.....lol!!:crazy

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The SLO is similar but no clone and EVH's Marshall is stock ,Bogner only rejuvenated it with some NOS parts making it sound like it did .
    5150 is a heavily modded Marshall style circuit again only similar to the SLO.

13. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Try to see if Nik at Ceriatone will make you one.

Either that or try out "metal" pedals?

dk

14. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

When/if the peavey amp custom shop ever opens you could order it just as you want.