5150 III - Headphone Output with Small Powered Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IronHorse, Jun 6, 2019.

1. IronHorse

IronHorse Member

Hello All -

I found some old cheapo powered computer speakers hanging around the house, and wondered how they would sound hooked up to the headphone jack of my 5150 III head? I have not played this amp in a long while so I wanted to see if I could get a fun, low volume sound out of it with these cheapo speakers. (PSA NOTE AMP must be plugged into a Speaker Cab as well!!!)

Wow, it sounded pretty good! I could crank the amp and dial in the speaker volume to taste. It was fun to hear things on a small scale, and still be able to run full tilt with the amp, pedal board, and effects loop. It had decent feel, and I was able to dial things in as saturated as I wanted. The clean channel was a little anemic so I had to drive it a bit harder than normal.

All in all, a really cheap and fun solution for low volume practice. This of course may be filed in the category of "How can I make my awesome tube amp sound crappy?" section of TGP, but it was a fun experiment to try!

2. Coopster

Coopster Member

I've thought about doing this with my HeadRush just to see what it's like.

3. IronHorse

IronHorse Member

I tried it again, and it is quite hilarious. I am going to use it for a bit to see how I like it compared to headphones which I find fatiguing after a while.

Give it a try, it is good for a laugh at least!