5150 in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. G., Jan 13, 2008.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Just curious if there's a distortion pedal that can get close to the tone of a 5150. The amp I'd be using it with is a Traynor YCV50 Blue. I can get a really nice hard rock distortion out of it, and can get into the metal territory with it, but it does much better sticking to the hard rock stuff. I also don't want to run an overdrive in front of the distortion channel, because I want to be able to go from clean to high gain in one click. So, is there a stand alone pedal that can do similar distortion to a 5150, through a clean amp?

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Well the 5150 was the Van Halen amp. I have always thought the Crunch Box was VH in a box, so you might want try there. Might work and it might not, but for 100$, it's a good shot.

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the subdecay blackstar sounds pretty damn close based on the sound samples.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

cmatmods brownie

pm fr8_trane for whatever he ordered. i know he didn't go standard. . . and changed a chip or sunthin. . . or a resistor? no chips from what i remember.

KILLED every other pedal trying to do that sound that I've ever heard. . . ESPECIALLY for chords. he had a crunchbox (first version), a box of rock, a barber small fry, and some others.

i hate that mf. i was done buying pedals until this one. have to wait awhile though. . . .

tight tight tight low end. awesome chords. we went from scorpions to halen to priest through a damn BRIGHT drri.

KILLER F*cking pedal.

like i said, pm him. . . b/c he had some sort of changes to his order.

130 shipped. . . also a killer price.

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Check out this demo from 2:36 onwards, these are sims, but I can get them out of a class A combo using the same pedal without the speaker sim with no effort at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7masJ3wlALE

6. SFW

SFW Member

You might check into the Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor pedal. It's the only pedal that was able to get me into the hard rock/metal tones that felt like an amp. It's design allows it to completely take over your clean tone, so you don't get any ghosting. I really like mine, and have gotten several comments on my tone at shows.

7. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure the crunch box would quite get me there. I have a 5150 2x12 combo, but it's not with me at the moment (and will be a while before I get it back). I mainly need a good clear metal tone with a nice tight bottom end, i.e. no mud.

I tried a Metal Zone a while back, but it just didn't do it for me. The bottom end wasn't tight enough, and I just couldn't get the EQ to work for me in a good way.

I've always relied on my amps to give me all the distortion I need, but at the moment, my amp is falling a little short for what my current needs are.

What are some other "metal" pedals to look for?

8. blood5150

blood5150 Member

9. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

That's a bit out of my price range. I'd prefer to find something more around $100. I just can't justify spending that much on a pedal when I've already got an amp that can do what I want (just not with me).

10. RDM

RDM Senior Member

What ever you do...don't fall for the ol' "The Boss Metal Zone will getcha there!" trick.

Maybe a modded DS-1 since you're on a budget?

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

ok... sorry. I missed the part about the $100.00.

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

maybe one of the line 6 pedals?

they are a little over $100.00

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Just FYI, it's pretty hard to get a really good distortion pedal for around $100. I'm convinced it's the hardest pedal to get right and therefore, my most expensive pedals are distortion pedals (BJF Dyna Red Distortion for one) Out of the suggestions thus far, a modded DS-1 might get you there. It has that crisp (extremely crisp almost fizzy) tone that the 5150 has. Funny thing, people are suggestion "brown sound" kinda pedals when the 5150 sounds nothing like any Van Halen tone I've ever heard... that amp has always been a head scratcher to me....

14. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Well, if you ask me there are two different Van Halen tones,

VH 1 through Ou812
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge until now...

They are very different..it was right when Eddie's old marshall superlead started dying on him that he tried the Soldano SLO100. The 5150 was based on a similar circuit.

Custom50 likes this.
  15. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

the 5150 mkI,II and III are definately a far cry from the roth years sound of course.
    I spent 2 years in a Van Halen tribute band and had both a 5150 and marshall with powersoak to get the best of both worlds (no pun intended)
    A quintesential part of the 5150 sound is the presence that is almost post power amp in nature and the absolutely esential womaniser pitch shifter.
    On the demo I posted I also use a womaniser set to 5 cents up left and 5 cents down right with the straight signal in the middle.
    That's an effect not many pedals can reproduce unfortunately. My MS is the only one I've found to date.....

By the way, Eddie has NEVER used a distortion pedal, just a good old stock SD1 to goose his setup plus the volume knob.

16. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Eddie has accomplished that in the last 15 years by using an eventide H3000 split between two amps.. with the eventide sending one dry signal and sending the other signal 1 to 3 cents detuned to get that tone.

17. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Yep, would be great to get that in one little pedal though.

18. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Just to make things clear, I'm not trying to sound like Eddie in any shape, form, or fashion. I'm not trying to sound like anybody but myself. I have a 5150 combo, and it is the distortion tone that I love. I don't have access to that amp right now (it's 2,000 miles away), so I'm just looking for a distortion pedal that can get me in the same ballpark as the amps lead channel. That is all... nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep'em comin' :AOK

Custom50 likes this.
  19. blood5150

blood5150 Member

yeah.. I know....... we just EVH hijacked your topic for a while... sorry!

20. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

sok... it happens :rolleyes: