1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

5150 or Montrose?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Feb 10, 2019.

5150 or Montrose?

1. Van Halen (Hagar) - 5150

21.5%
  2. Montrose - Montrose

78.5%
  1. Boston617

Boston617 Member

This.

Although I absolutely hate the production of 5150. No balls at all to the guitars, drums, or bass. 5150 (and OU812, while we're at it) both sound like they were recorded inside a tin can.

amoodymule likes this.
  2. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I look at it like a relay. EVH wouldn't have been quite the same without Templeman and Landee and that first Montrose album. So in the relay analogy, Montrose is the lead or something and EVH is the anchor.

WordMan and wetordry like this.
  3. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I am picking 5150 due to nostalgia and it being very important to me when I was a kid. I probably listen to Montrose 2 to 1 over it these days though. Who knows who that will be in the future.

4. Shiro

Shiro Silver Supporting Member

Except that Hagar is the vocalist for Montrose.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Montrose, definitely. Not taking anything away from 5150 or Hagar era Van Halen, but the two bands were in completely different leagues. With any of the singers, Van Halen was always the consummate party band, but Montrose could have been the American Led Zeppelin. SHOULD have been, IMO!

LeftyGtrPlr and Liquid State like this.
  6. Liquid State

Liquid State Member

Montrose Montrose : because it is flawless

amoodymule and LeftyGtrPlr like this.
  7. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

All the OP is asking which one do we prefer , it ain`t rocket science

8. DRS

DRS Member

Pound Cake
    I suppose if you like that chestnut, your decision is easy.
    I voted for Montrose although the lack of a strong follow-up to that album was a great disappointment to me.

9. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

Montrose, no competition. 5150 was a huge disappointment for me when it came out. when they anounced Sammy aas the new singer i had visions of another 1st Montrose album but better. didn't get that or even close.

the first Montrose album was a huge influence on my guitar playing and is still one of my all time fav albums. the only issue with it i have is that Ronnie didn't really play much lead guitar on it. fantastic riffs but with a couple of exceptions he just didn't make much effort lead wise. live though he tore it up and sounded like Jimmy Page on speed.

Mark Ray likes this.
  10. sahhas

sahhas Member

I guess I need to listen to Montrose, read about it for years, have never listened to it

11. MrX

MrX Member

Montrose .... I'm not much of a Van Hagar fan.

sahhas likes this.
  12. sertshark

sertshark Member

Have to go with 5150, because it was such a shocker. LOVE Montrose though. How many bands out there tried new singers and we all just kind of went "Blech"? Everyone knew Sammy Hagar was a great rocker, but joining such a dysfunctional band, and then doing what he did was impressive, because the songs were VERY good songs. The dude was writing LOVE songs and had a lot of us harder rockers singing right along. Plus, to follow DLR, who SOME considered (at the time) one of the best lead men in rock, and then to make the band better all the way around was something not many people could pull off. I listen to 5150 and think the same thing when I listen to "And Justice For All": It sounds like a band that had something to prove.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  13. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I was kinda done with VH by 5150 so Montrose! Just on the guitar tone alone! I hated Eddie's sound by the time 5150 came out! Not warm and musical like the first few records! Not knocking Ed's playing ever, and he did stuff Montrose couldn't touch playing wise! I just dug that 1st Montrose record a lot!

14. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

Montrose has a great album vibe and coherence. I put it on now and then and dig it all the way through.

5150 has my two favorite Van Hagar songs; a bunch of stuff I liked when it was new, but not for much longer; and a few tunes I never liked.

sahhas likes this.
  15. wetordry

wetordry Member

Everybody likes it!:)

sahhas likes this.
  16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

2 different styles of music, 2 different eras...like comparing The Allman Bros to Neil Young....

17. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I first encountered Ronnie Montrose on an “In Concert“ episode back in the early 70’s when he was in the Edgar Winter Group. He had some interesting animated stage moves and looks-wise, he uncannily resembled Keith Moon in Pete Townshend’s white boiler suit ..( just reviewed my comment with reference to the YouTube clip - weird I know, but we Aussies didn’t get colour TV until 1975 and, in B&W at least, he looked like he was wearing a pair of coveralls. But the manic Keith Moon analogy still holds, I think.)

I do recall Dan Hartman did a stunning Hendrix impression with a Strat that we all talked about the next day -“hey, did you see that bass player with Edgar Winter? He was better than the actual guitar player!!” The full episode has never appeared on YouTube sadly.

I fondly remember my late father looked up momentarily from his paper and saw Edgar Winter doing his patented screaming in Tobacco Road and muttered “degenerate....” ha ha.

Anyway, I bought Paper Money not long after, which was my introduction to Montrose the band. In fact, Ronnie’s playing became very influential on my own and he was the guy who had a showy, street fighter “tenacity” to his playing - kind of a portent of what was to land on us like a H-bomb in 1978.

I can see and hear a solid lineage but, beyond the Sammy connection, I’d baulk at comparing the two albums in the poll - Montrose and VH1 is arguably a better conversation.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  18. drri

drri Member

Your post makes a lot of sense. Thanks for mentioning the demos, I've never knew about them.... Yeah the producer helped that lot, killer playing and the solo stuff sounded great tone wise but that rhythm track wasn't so great (This was Make it Last demo on YT)

wetordry likes this.
  19. wetordry

wetordry Member

Recent 2 cd deluxe release version has 5 demos for tunes from the album, and "shoot us down" which didn't make it.
    Alot of thinner strat tones and all around its got much less muscle, or whatever it is that makes that album such a hard rock staple.

drri likes this.
  20. seward

seward Member

Yeah, well, he still likes it.