• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

5150iii ya or nay

Stephen0351

Gold Supporting Member
looking to get a rock amp for my 90's EBMM Axis, was thinking of getting the 5150iii combo 50 watt 1x12, but I read a cpl places that the volume fluctuates on its own, is this a common problem with this amp? and since I got you here, if this would not be your choice then what would be? Oh, I am into rock, hard rock and metal

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
The 5150III 1x12 combo is great! Lots of bottom end and 3 nice channels. The built in attenuator is great for playing with a reduced volume late at night. I didn't have any volume flux issues with my 2x12 combo when I had it.

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 5153 112 combo.
This is the first I've heard of any volume fluctuations.
The amp sounds great at any volume, puts out quite a bit of thump for a 112 and should be your next amp.

In my humble opinion of course. :rolleyes:

looking to get a rock amp for my 90's EBMM Axis, was thinking of getting the 5150iii combo 50 watt 1x12, but I read a cpl places that the volume fluctuates on its own, is this a common problem with this amp? and since I got you here, if this would not be your choice then what would be? Oh, I am into rock, hard rock and metal
I think the volume fluctuation you're referring to is the increase (aka jump) when going from the green channel to the blue channel (shared volume and and EQ on the 50 watter). The blue is noticeably louder than the green, but it's predictable (not a random change that happens on its own). I have a 50 watt head and love it, but I wouldn't use it if I needed really clean tones or if the volume jump was problematic.

I own the 50w head. What Lumpy Trousers said is on point. People bitch and moan that the second channel is louder than the clean channel and because they share a volume control you really have to sort a way out around the issue if you want to use the second channel much.

You can use a multi-effect to even it out ( Ive made it a non issue with my pod hd ), its super easy to assign patch and channel changes with a multi effect pedal. I suck at MIDI and I had it up and working in like 5 minutes.
or
you can turn the gain to about half and accept that if you want your distortion and crunch tones to sound appropriately louder than your clean then your clean is going to be a touch dirty and or your going to have to use your guitars volume knob,
or
you can just use the clean and channel three which is a small compromise since both are awesome and responsive to good playing.

The amp is amazing, totally cuts through in live / practice scenarios, sounds good at low volumes for practice, has really idiot proof midi control, and sounds great on all three channels. Great amp for metal and hard rock. I would only say to avoid if your more of a clean player who only uses distortion sparingly.

In other words, DO IT

Matt L

I have the head also, and currently am doing what maniccompression just said...using only Ch.1 and 3 live. I have a Wampler Dual Fusion that fills in the gap. My band is about 75% pop and dance, 25% rock, so I'm on the clean channel a lot. If I was doing more hard rock, I'd use Ch.2, but it's not an issue right now. Ch.3 has way more gain than I ever need. I have the knob on maybe 9-o'clock. I have a regular outdoor gig, and I only start running out of clean headroom on the green channel if I use humbuckers. I try to keep the gain halfway or less, and the volume can get between noon-3o'clock. Mind you, this is with a measly 1x12 cabinet! I've been avoiding anything bigger for load-in/out ease. A 2x12 or 4x12 will solve that, I'm sure, but I'm mic'd with a wedge anyways. Great amp at a great price, very portable, packs a lot of features and tones into a smallish package. Highly recommended.

Rick Lee

I have the 50w, 100w and 100s and have been doing extensive side by side testing over the last few weeks. Probably keeping the 100w because I can't live with the volume jump of the 50w and the 100s just isn't worth $1000 more than the 100w in tone and other features. I have two EBMM EVHs and an Axis Tribute. Those pickups are hot. The SD Custom 78 in my Frankenstrat is a lot more tame through my EVH heads and sort of begs for more gain than blue offers when dimed. Sounds awesome through my SLO though and through the EVHs at band volume.

Trending Topics