5153 100 watt sounds crappy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by f550maranello2, Feb 10, 2012.

1. f550maranello2

f550maranello2 Member

So i picked up one of these from GC 2 weeks ago with the matching cab. Clean channel is great. But im having a hard time getting a good tone from the other 2 channels. The amp sounds nasaly on 2 and 3. cant quite put my finger on it just sounds real fizzy too processed sounding, I keep the master at 3 or below.

Its not a tube problem iv swapped preamp tubes around.

Guitars i play through are les paul standard with stock burstbucker pickups and a home made frankenstrat with EVH Frankenstein pickup i play mostly van halen stuff

other thing i wanted to add was that i really have to crank the high's all the way up and the presence pretty close to max so it doesn't sound muddy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Not sure what's going on.

I don't own one, but want one in a bad way. Demoed one at Ken Stanton in Atlanta recently and loved it. A screamer of an amp. I found it pretty versatile. CHs 1 & 2 were great. CH3 gets pretty insane levels of gain.

3. ken374

ken374 Member

4. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Interesting. You're not the only one I've read that has thought the amp sounds nasally.

Channels 2 and 3 are definitely compressed, but I actually love the mid-focused tones of this amp; cuts right through. I typically keep my mids on "10" for channels 2 and 3, and I keep treble and presence on 6 or 7; above that, and it's way too bright for me. I'm using all JJ's in the amp. Mine only sounds fizzy at extremely low late night volumes (less than 1 on the masters). Otherwise, it sounds fantastic through the matching cab (make sure your speakers are broken in, as mine changed in tone significantly from what they sounded like new). The feel of this amp through the EVH Greenbacks, especially the blue channel, is "just right" for me, with a lot of "elasticity/bounce" to the notes when playing, but remaining tight and focused. I have a hard time putting my guitar down when I plug into it. :)

5. germs

germs Member

i'd say the problem lies in where you're trying to run it.

3 or below is going to sound terrible compared to the halfway mark and above - where it was designed to be played - for the gain channels. yes, it's going to sound muddy; that's the design of 100w channel switchers.

not trying to rain on your parade...

6. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I disagree; 3 is pretty loud with this amp. The EVH has really good master volumes for each channel, and does not change in overall tone that much the louder it gets (obviously it does "fill out" the sound better with more volume).

7. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

OP, I had a similar experience with one that I bought from MF.
    I hated the mids on the drive channels. I attributed this to the fact that I was playing the amp through a 2x12 with V30s at the time.
    I sent that amp back pretty quickly.
    I've since played one through the matching EVH 4x12 and it sounded much better. That was being shown by the EVH guys at a guitar show.
    One that I played at GC before buying the one from MF sounded pretty good, not as good as the last one I played, but better than the one I bought.
    I don't know, but I think, maybe there are some bad sounding ones out there?

But, if you don't like it with the matching cab, you probably aren't going to like it period. I'd take it back, try another one.