5153 50w or Dual Showman Reverb or..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sg love, Apr 20, 2015.

1. sg love

sg love Member

Hi all.
    So, I've been amp less for some time now. The last one I had was a Soldano Astroverb. It was a great ago for what I needed.
    I've got that itch again, plus the band I'm in is going to start playing shows again. Now, I love a deep rich clean, but also a nice throaty gain. My favorite clean tone is the fabled "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room," and my favorite dirt tones are usually a mix of a Marshall and Vox. Like "Remember to Feel Real" by Armor For Sleep, or any dirty tone by Thursday (Bogner Ecstasy), or Every Time I Die (Oranges and Marshalls).
    I've done some research, and the closest thing I can get to JM's tone without dropping 2k+ is a fender twin, but I'm unwilling to lug such an amp around. So, I came upon the dual showman reverb. I would likely add a Bogner ecstasy blue to my board. Or, would I be better off with the EVH 5153 50w? Or, am I missing an option altogether?
    Hopefully whatever amp is recommended, I can use my whammy pedal without significant volume loss, because that was a problem with my Soldano.
    Thanks for your time.

2. sg love

sg love Member

3. manicompression

manicompression Member

I would think you have to prioritize if you are going to be leaning more heavily on, clean sounds or distorted?

The EVH is a sweet amp, I think the cleans are pretty good but not in the same realm as a Fender that just does the clean / mild breakup thing (deluxe, super, vibro...). The distortion on the EVH is great but I dont think either channel really does the Every Time I Die or Thursday thing. The gain sound on those bands records tends to be real characterfull and grainy with a healthy amount of bottom end for lack of a better descriptions. The gain sounds on the EVH are really tight and not particularly bottom heavy.

Dont get me wrong, you could learn to love it for what it is. Its a great amp, I love mine, but I dont think its the best choice for either of your hopes.

I have no experience with the Fender dual showman reverb, So i cant speak to it.

Pedals are awesome, but using a pedal for your main distortion sound has never sounded as good as a proper amp distortion especially in a live scenario IMO.

Just a punt, but why not a Mesa of some sort? My 2001 3 channel Dual Rec has amazing cleans despite the fact that its not what the amp is known for. The other two channels have great distortion tones that are really ballsy and tighten up great with an overdrive.
    I have also played one of their "Express" models pretty extensively and it was also pretty great on both fronts. I think something Mesa could check both of your boxes pretty well, and if you buy used you could end up spending about the same as a 5153 mini, and Mesa stuff is reliable and has respectable resale value should you decide to go another way.

4. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

The new multiwatt mesas have better cleans than the EHV.
    My roadster is better in every imaginable way (save for the lack of midi).

Also, given the amps you have mentioned, I can't imagine why you would even consider anything from fender (save the EVH). They have nothing... absolutely nothing that would give you "throaty gain", pedals or no pedals.

5. zenas

zenas Member

Dual Showman Reverb is just a silverface Twin Reverb in a head.That's the one I'd get but I own two TRs so maybe I'm biased.

6. sg love

sg love Member

See, the problem I've had with Mesas and Oranges was that I didn't like the way that they felt while playing.mesa was very caustic and cold. Oranges just felt flat. Recorded, they sounded great, but live they just felt weird. I know it's a really hippy thing to say.
    I owned a Bogner Ecstasy 101b and Classic, as well as a CAA 100 SE+ for a while as well. The CAA was underwhelming. Both Ecstasies red channel, I felt like I fought with it. It was compressed and felt like a blanket over it. The classic less so.
    And this is where my dilemma is at. I've played and owned some really good amps, they just weren't it for me.
    There's a band, Pianos Become the Teeth, that uses fenders for their live tone and I figured I could do the same.

7. sg love

sg love Member

I haven't liked playing Mesas. My response to manicompression explains why, but it just felt cold. I know it sounds hippy-ish to say so. Live and recorded they sound awesome. I, personally, don't like the way they feel.
    Same has gone for Orange, CAA, and Bogner.

8. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Niether of those for an amp with Throaty Gain and Deep rich cleans

Showman has the rich cleans but no gain
    5153 Has the throaty gain with so-so clean.

Look for a used Mesa Mk III
    Great Fender Cleans, singing thick gain

forgivenman likes this.
  9. sg love

sg love Member

Adding pedals to the fender, like the Bogner Ecstasy Blue or Red, won't get me there?

10. sg love

sg love Member

Bump? Any other opinions?

11. trim450

trim450 Member

What about a 6l6 Shiva ? Heard the amp has very lush and full cleans , I've never tried one but been reading a lot about it in the last few week and sounds like a great amp , cleans are compared to the lone star which I had and thought it sounded pretty good and had many complements.
    I just parted with a Dr.z Stangray and prescription es, great amps also , Stangray had great chime and clarity , the prescription had more power and midrange , little fuller sounding . They all took pedals well .

12. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member