• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

5153 owners, Red channel or Boost Blue for leads???

Russ73

What are you guys using for leads, I kinda like both but was curious what you guys are doing for solos...Also anyone running their heads through 1x12s?? how does that sound in comparison to the standard 2x12 setup....just trying to get some info from fellow users....THx!

cust22

Silver Supporting Member
I usually use the red channel for leads when playing out. Mostly because I can set the volume higher

thawn5150

I have the EVH 50 watt el34 head,I run it through a EVH 2 12 cab, I tried a 1 12 but found it sounded too boxy. I do use the red channel for leads but I also use the blue channel with a boost for leads at time either sounds great. I did put some lower gain tubes in the amp a 12au7 and a 12at7 to lower the gain a bit on the red channel since its so gainy. I also did the capacitor cut mod that I found tightened up the bass response.

Russ73

Thx for the input, I know its not the most popular head for this Forum but Im not a metal guy at all and I get great mid gain tones out of blue thus my questions, Im running through a partially open back 2x12 with v30s and was just wondering if I could get more out of it!

GreatGreen

With my 50 watt 6L6 I like using the Blue channel with a clean boost for rhythm and the unboosted Red channel for leads.

That way you can get the general saturation level to feel about the same between the channels but the Red channel will still be more compressed so it makes leads a bit easier to play.

Last edited:

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
The red channel is insane. I don’t have mine anymore, but I was very happy boosting the blue channel (or even the green channel) when necessary.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I use my 5150 III 6L6 50 watt V2 as single channel amp.
I only use the Blue channel and set it to a good rock crunch and use a tube sreamer for leads and my guitar's volume for cleans.

Works great.

Jecht

I do both because I like both and it just depends on how I'm feeling. For what I play, I've found that both channels work equally well for me.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I love the read channel for leads. There’s a shift in the mids that I like. Having said that, the blue channel is amazing too.

Speeddemon

I love the read channel for leads. There’s a shift in the mids that I like. Having said that, the blue channel is amazing too.
I'm personally not too fond of that mid-shift in the red channel. It has this sort of gnawing, almost nasal/plasticy quality to it. When you play leads on the blue channel, it's so much more dynamic and open-sounding, even when running the gain high.
Mine's the 6L6 v1 50W by the way.

acev

I'm a marshall el 34 guy but I kinda like it's brutalness.It woul'd help to know what it was boosted with.
Its a 6l6 amp.

It was boosted by OCD pedal block in my Line 6 Helix rack. It tightens the blue channel and playing tracks faster. Its also a wet/dry/wet setup, so its sounds big.

Trending Topics