52 Hot Rod Tele Humbucker or Mini-Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Radagacuca, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

as i am totally new to the telecaster (played gibsons for most of my playing life) i finally decided i can´t go on without a tele and those new 52 hot rod teles look very interesting due to their neck pickup config.
    any of you tele lovers that have compared the two please let me know what the difference in tone there is between them (full size neck humbucker vs. the mini hum, i imagine i would feel scary without a ´bucker on board :)).
    is there a huge difference between those even in the middle position?
    as i play mostly bluies oriented classic rock stuff i wonder which one would suit me better. as i am in germany where the full size hb version is not available there´s no way to compare the two.

thanks,
    joe

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I had a CS Tele with full-size HB at neck and found that even lwered as much as I could it was still too loud compared to the bridge pickup. In the in-between position it sounded fantastic but that made the bridge pickup sound too wimpy in comparison. I don't use the in-between so much anyway - I like Teles for the bridge pickup mainly.

So now I have a Hotrod Tele and it's awesome. The pickups balance really well and the neck mini-HB is a great sound there. I really think that this is one of the best Teles I've had.

3. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

...exactly! Best Tele for me too!

The bridge pickup is quite hot without sacrificing the quintessential Tele sound and the minihumbucker is a perfect match. It does the thick blues thing as well as a really nice jazz sound and seems to have more dynamics and pronounced attack than a normal sized humbucker.

:band

4. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Been thinking about going w/ one of those mini humbukers in one of my teles. What would be a good match for a vintage style bridge PU?

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

With the "right" Tele pickups, you'll forget all about humbuckers. ;)

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I agree to a point. I actually really like the standard Fender "vintage Tele" pickups - the neck pickup is very very good and I haven't found better in a SC Tele neck pickup. But I love this Hotrod!

7. DavidE

DavidE Member

There are lots of 52 hot rod demos on youtube. Just go to youtube.com and search Fender 52 hot rod tele and you'll find them. I picked one up yesterday. Great guitar.

8. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

thanks guys.. now i am totally confused... after checking this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzwSqt16gA

i am not sure i actually "need" a bucker in a tele now... :confused::confused::confused:

looks like one tele won´t be enough? :messedup:)

9. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I tried one of the Hot Rods with the mini hums for a couple of days and absolutely loved it.
    It was a rental with a nice two piece book matched Ash top.
    I decided to have a look at the one brand new one they had in the store with intentions of buying it, but when the box got opened the top was a weird three piece mismatched slab of wood. I decided against it.
    I was checking out the Hot Rod 52's with the full sized humbucker they have at Wildwood Guitar's and was wondering what these would be like? Any thoughts?

10. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I love the mini HBs. But I think I would like the '52 with Bardens in it myself.

11. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Well after talking with Bruce from Wildwood Guitars about the humbucker vs the mini hum buckers, I decided to go with a Fender American Vintage "Thin Skin Nitro" '52 Tele w/ Humbucker. It will be shipped out Monday, can't wait!

[​IMG]

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

I love the hotrod teles, I've played a few of them and they were all good.

13. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

The new hot rod's a flat out smokin' geetars!! The build is great, with nice woods and hardware, but the pickup combo makes for a nifty change of pace without loosing any "Tele" vibe.

I'm a long-time Tele hound, but I'm not a purist by any means. I have them with buckers and P-90's in the neck. Well, I snagged a mini-bucker on the emporium here last week to give it a shot in a Highway 1 Tele I have. Now just need to get a slightly hotter bridge p/up to put in there to match. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.