52 Mij Tele W/tx Specials

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by John Carson, Nov 23, 2005.

1. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I just purchased from an Ebay seller in Japan a '52 tele RI that supposedly comes with USA Texas Specials. I havent had the time to take them out but I have measured them and they ohm out at 7.2 for the neck and 7.1 for the bridge. These are more of a vintage range than texas Specials are advertised to be. I am suspecting that perhaps these are vintage '50's pickups and not T Specials but Im wondering if anyone else has picked up one of these MIJ teles and if so do they know if Fender manufactures the T Specials with different specs for the Japanerse market?

Just a bit confused

John

2. John Carson

Happy Thanksgiving all---

Just another check to see if any member has experience with Texas Special tele pick ups on Fender Japan telecasters?

They dont seem to be the same in terms of output

Any ideas?

Thanks
    John

3. axpro

axpro Member

My pickups (recent, USA) read around 10k each... as you mentioned the values you give are more of a standard or vintage range... If the guitar was supposed to originally come with tx specials, i would find that odd, as fender usually ships period accurate type of pickups with RI models (vintage with 50's models, maybe tx special on a endorsee model...)

I have yet to see any CIJ fenders arrive in my store with upgraded pickups. just the MIK models with SD's

Dave Mc

4. John Carson

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

I purchased this off of an Ebay seller in Japan who is pretty reputable. Actually there are a few sellers advertising these CIJ guitars as having T Specials. I only bought it because of the pick ups so I am going to flip it on Ebay.

Thanks again
    John

5. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

just curious, if you didn't take out the pu how did you measure them? did you measure from the output jack? was volume and tone controls full up?

6. John Carson

yes i took a standard guitar jack and used a meter.
    put the bridge pup on and turned the volume up then did the same to the neck pup.
    No where near what texas Specilas should measure. Also the pole pieces are not staggered but flat like a vintage pup would be

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Right there... the Texas Special tele bridge has staggered poles, none are flat. The TX Special neck pup should also have a third wire (white, yellow and black) that is a ground from the chrome cover. Sounds like that guitar had the original vintage pups. Also, the TX Special bridge has a white/cream string wrap.

hth,

J

8. fin

fin Guest

John-

I was looking for a 52 CIJ Tele, before you do ebay...what color is it? (I am just down 95 in Baltimore)

9. John Carson

hi

its sold, sorry
    however there are some on ebay for sale that are nice