52 RI Tele + Callaham Compensated Saddles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brianf, Nov 20, 2005.

1. brianf

brianf Member

I just put a set of Callaham compensated saddles on my 52RI. I'm very happy.

There is some compromising for sure when intonating a guitar that shares saddles.

On a standard 10>46 set, I was able to intonate almost dead on using a Petersen Strobostomp.

With a set of GHS Boomers 10>52 I had to go back to the stock non compensated D and G saddle. Again almost dead on.

This guitar is set up in 5 string Open G 75% of the time using 11, 13, 17, 30 , 44. Again with the non compensated D and G saddle it is almost dead on.

These saddles came with springs and screws and are only 30.00!!!!

Great value and they work!!!

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/14bfa6bb14875e45bba028a21ed38046/482_p51324.jpg

brianf

2. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I put a set on my Nocaster Relic about 6 months ago. I couldn't be happier with them!

Jamie

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I bought two sets, one from Stew Mac and another from some custom maker guy. They were both brass and really did the trick for the intonation. Way better.

BUT, the tone sucked. When I swapped the original saddles out, I noticed they seemed to weigh more. they just felt heavier to me. As soon as put the compensated saddles on, the tone lost a lot of the fullness and was more twang/less meat. So that's when I tried a second set, and the same thing.

I'd like to try the Callhams but it might be the same thing for me.

I'm thinking of bending my nocasters saddles!

4. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Hi Brian! How are things?:)

I just got a Nocaster and need to put some of those on.

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Wow that's a lot of choices from that link.

Any comments on the tone changes? I noticed a big difference. I swapped back and forth using the same strings, and even recorded it to listen to. The Nocaster's saddles just sounded better, but not good for intonation.

7. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I bought a full bridge assembly from Callaham about 2yrs ago and found that the E/A saddle angle was too extreme- the E was way off for a .046. Replaced it with a StewMac saddle, much better. Very strange. Anyone else?

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

You can have a problem with heavier strings. Wilkinson makes some adjustable brass saddles that just might do the trick.

9. brianf

brianf Member

Wow, this sounds interesting. Do you have a link. I just looked at their site and could not find them.

Thanks

brianf

10. brianf

brianf Member

Long time no talk. Hope all is well!!!!! I did not realize that there were so many versions of these saddles. I guess depending on the string size, a little bit of give and take is a must. If your Nocaster is as far off intonationwise as my 52RI was, you do need a set of these.

brianf

11. drolling

drolling Member

I've got Glendale's on my teles. Dale uses a different angle for each of the three saddles (most makers use 4, -4 & 4 degrees) and my intonation's spot on w/9s or 10s.

I'm using brass on my 52 RI & steel on the thinline. Altho' there's some material removed from the bottoms (for those who like super-low action) there's still enough mass to keep that great tele twang. He's also changed the position and angle of the height adjustment screws to get them away from the strings. And they're shorter, so you don't have to file em down if they're sticking into your palm.

He's got a set w/one aluminum saddle (for the low E & A) that some of the nashville cats swear by and another set w/one stainless for B-benders. There's even a funky lookin oversized set of heat treated saddles, but all that stuff's too exotic for me.

Callaham makes great stuff too. His hardware turned my excellent strat into an unbelievable strat. The cut-down '64 trem arm is the best 12 bucks I've ever spent!

EDIT; oops- didn't notice the link's already posted. Please consider this my "review".

12. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I popped a set of brass Glendale saddles on my Tele clone, and I am real happy with them, they intonate great.

13. GDSblues

GDSblues Member

Removed - please promote your products in the Manufacturers & Dealers Emporium. Thank you. --chiba

14. billygoat

billygoat Member

Glendale Twang Plus set on my 52 RI. I love them to death. 2 brass one aluminum....

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I know this is heresy to those who want vintage style Tele saddles but I have a parts Tele and used G&L ASAT Classic saddles. They're solid brass individual saddles and the guitar rings like crazy.

If you want the brass tone while avoiding intonation issues, you may want to consider these. They sell them on the G&L web site www.glguitars.com
    and they're inexpensive.

16. blackflagwaving

blackflagwaving Member

I also have a tele that I am considering putting in compensated saddles. The only thing is that I use 11-54 gauge strings and I've read somewhere that heavier strings screw up the intonation when using compensated saddles. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

- Jason