52 Tele reissue question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Marshall Man, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I just bought a 52 Tele reissue brand new yesterday. I like the neck, but do not care much for the bridge pickup. I would like a stacked humbucker such as the SD 59, or JB, what do you all think? Would I have to replace the pot as well? This is the first Tele I have ever owned. I play rock such as skynyrd etc.

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

if you gotta have hum-canceling, I believe both Curtis Novak and Don Mare have a fairly legit sounding humbucker that'll drop in

That's assuming you still want a tele sound

a JB Jr or Lil 59 is just a way different sound than what you have now

3. doublee

doublee Member

Am wondering why you got a tele then....

4. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

Other options would be the SD Quarter Pounder (big magnets, voiced for lead rock tone and sustain) or look at P90-ish options such as the Harmonic Design Super90 or Fralin Steelpole

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

What don't you like about the bridge pickup?
    You just got the Tele.Live with it a while and experiment with pickup adjustment heights.
    If after a few weeks you still don't care for the pickup then give Don Mare a call.

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Those 52RI's are nice geetars - the best off-the-shelf Tele out there. Maybe just spend a bit more time with it before rolling the pups.

If you absolutely cannot live with the bridge pup, I second the Duncan Quarter Pounder.

7. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm with Sean on this, play it and experiement with it for a while first.
    It may be that you don't know what it can do yet if you're new to Teles.
    Play with the pickup adjustment and use your tone control.

The you'll make a better informed decision and might decide that you like it just fine.

8. jfolz

jfolz Member

Try backing the tone control off about a 1/4 turn when you switch to the rear pu, that will usually take the shrillness down but leave plenty of meat.

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

The bridge sounds exactly like it is supposed to which begs the question why did you buy it? Like others said play with it for a while then sell it and buy a Gibson with p90s or humbuckers if you're after a humbucker tone.

10. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

I stuck with the 52 for over a year. Never really satisfied with it. A month ago I put it up against 3 other teles(some cheaper and some more expensive) and it turned out to be the one I liked least. I think it could benefit alot from a pickup change. But I agree with the other people. Stick it out for awhile before buying new pickups.

11. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Thanks guys. I have alot of humbucker guitars I just wanted something different. I like the guitar, just not the pickup so much as many other people do the same thing and swap out. I will mess around with the pickup and see what I can do. I noticed alot of people use teles in heavy metal so they are more than one sound.

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

Learn to use that tone control. It'll get you so many different sounds you'll be amazed.

13. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I adjusted the pickup pretty close to the strings, boosted the mids a hair on my eq and running it through my Bad Monkey for clean boost into my Super Sonic; sounds pretty damn sweet! Hope it sounds the same to my ears Monday.

14. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

I presume it has the '52 pickups in it like my '52 re-issue? They are fantastic pickups, stick with them for a while, if you don't like them then sell the whole guitar and buy something you want.

15. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Why would you say that? There are plenty of guitars with swapped pups floating around, I know I have many. Most people I think swap their pups out for their personal favorites.

16. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I felt the same way at first because you are ready to swap out PUPS the very next day you bought the guitar. Its akin to buying a Les Paul and throwing single coils in it immediately....Its your guitar though so I don't really care but I'm just sticking up for The Telecaster.

17. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Exactly my thoughts.

18. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Like everyone said, play it for a while and see if you get to like it as it is or at least you d have a precise idea of what you don t like.
    I would recommend a set of Joe Barden if you are into heavier sound but still want a sharp tele sound. They re extremly responsive and very rich in harmonics. I m sure you d love em. A lot of my customers who play heavier stuff on Tele use em. They re still Fenderish enough to play anything you d want from a classic tele sound from Steve cropper to Keef.

19. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

I agree.
    I have never kept stock pickups in any guitar I have owned in the last 16 years.

To the OP:
    I did put a set of Duncans in my Tele, and it does change the tone a lot. The 250K pots made it sound a bit muffled. I much prefer it with 500K's.

20. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I guess some people don't realize, you can love a guitar, but not the pups! I guess people like me keep Seymour, Dimarzio etc. in business:)