'52 Tele "thin-Skin"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Coach, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Is the thin skin '52 tele pretty much a '52 tele with higher fret wire and a thinner nitro finish? Or does the thin skin also omit the base layer of poly that the standard '52 has?

2. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Come on guys :cool:

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i believe that it omits the base layer of poly.....

4. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

plus 1

5. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Any ideas how much it would cost to strip the finish of a '52 standard and re-finish with nitro?

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

7. Jeeves

Jeeves Member

Why did they do that anyway? Wouldn't it cost more to coat layers of extra stuff on the body?

8. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Does this also mean the neck has poly coating on it?

9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Check the fender site... Yes I realize it is intimidating with eleventy billion models... Every nitro bodied guitar I've looked up there had a nitro neck as well so as long as it's stock, I'd be pretty confident in a nitro neck...

10. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I meant a poly undercoat to the nitro, like the body.

11. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Yeah a thin skin should have no poly undercoat, just nitro on neck and body. I actually don't like nitro having lived with it in the acoustic world on guitars and mandolins, but then again with 2 young children, I have very little "careful" time on my hands. I'm usually too rushed to make sure no rubber is touching it, etc... I like my instruments to look minty fresh. Point of pride for me. I'm weird that way.

If you like nitro, and want a guitar that will "age" quickly without paying someone to make your guitar look like you've played it along time, the thin skin is the way to go. My friend has one that is aging nicely in only a year. He averages 4 hours a day, and treats his gear well, but you'd swear this guitar had seen the world. Relicing I can get behind! Not that there's anything wrong with relicing!:eek:

12. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I suppose I do want that aged look. Problem is I already have the '52 tele RI so I can't really get a thin-skinned...unless I sell which I'm iffy on. I have a feeling though that for the cost of a refinish I'd be better off just selling and buying a thin-skinned.

13. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i dont think the necks are poly under nitro like the bodies are...

14. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

ALWAYS better to get the real deal than mod something else! You never know what you're going to get back...

15. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I received an interesting e-mail from Fender:

Hello,
    The ’52 Tele does have a single coat of urethane sealer that is applied then sanded to reduce wood grain from raising up. This is a practice that Fender has used since sometime in the 50s (there was a lot of experimentation during the early 50s using many different finishing techniques). All the color and finish coats are Nitro Lacquer.
    Fender does not have authorized shops for after market refinishing. There are however many great restoration shops around the country that do refinishing. One of the most respected is Lay’s Guitar www.laysguitar.com. They do fantastic refinish work.

Best regards-
    John Kinney
    Consumer Relations