1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

53 tele price check

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by peanutavalon, Dec 18, 2017.

1. peanutavalon

peanutavalon Supporting Member

2. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Im not a vintage price expert... but last year I was looking into a private sale '53 used and abused but all original w/ case -- we were talking numbers between 15 and 22 and never met common ground.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

15 for an all original guitar seems way out of range. Even 22 sounds very low. Most I see for sale are over 30, if not refinished and/or missing parts.

Having said that, 10.5 seems low too for a refinished guitar.

MartinPiana and Bobby D like this.
  4. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

I agree with you.
    1. 16.5 was me tapped out and they just could'nt go that low...
    2. I also think 10.5 is prob a fair deal for a refin, especially from a reputable dealer.

5. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I guess it all boils down to how it plays and sounds.. Cool guitar a Refin /refret would be 1/2 the value of a original one..

MartinPiana likes this.
  6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

GC in Austin had an original finish with ash tray for 35ish back a year or so ago. I played it a couple times, just flat out killer guitar
    Even if you say refin is half, that still puts it awful close 20K. 10K does seem really low.
    I wonder if it is original pickups? If not, I wouldn't be interested anyway, refin, I don't care, but pickups ... What is a tele anyway? Wood with some pickups. Without the original wood and pickups, it isn't all that exciting, to me.

slowerhand likes this.
  7. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

WOW, $10.5 k for a refin 1953 Telecaster from Gruhns!!! Call them and see what’s what but man that’s pretty crazy and they’re one of the few places I’d trust to buy a high-dollar vintage guitar.

fescue likes this.
  8. peanutavalon

OK. I called. The body was a completely finished. When they got it in it was candy red metallic. The body was completely stripped and refinished. It is still stamped 1953. The neck is a 1952 telecaster neck. It also had heavy lacquer that had to be completely stripped to bare wood. The neck also had to be shaven slightly Because the previous lacquer job was so bad that it took a lot to get it off. The neck is an original 1952 neck. The frets are one size above vintage. The previous owner of the guitar is an employee at the shop. The pick ups and hardware are supposedly original. I wish they would mention the stuff in the advertisement LOL.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

That's pretty different than just a "refinned all original '53". And the mismatched dates (if they aren't very close to one another) is another dinger. My '53 has dates a week apart.

lousyatit likes this.
  10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

So the $10.5k makes more sense in light of the mismatched parts. That said, it's a good price for an all-early-50's partcaster imo and about as cheap as you're ever going to get into something like that.

/rick

smiert spionam, Drew816 and lousyatit like this.
  11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Fyi, Julian Lage's 50's Tele is a refin with body and neck from different years. I don't know what he paid for his, but it is a fabulous sounding guitar.

/rick

Darl, gkoelling and smiert spionam like this.
  12. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

That is a very reasonable deal for a refinished black guard Tele. I sold a total refin with a body route for about that a couple of years ago.

13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

If the guitar is as described - I think Gruhn is leaving something out - if it's priced at $10K.
    I would expect a 53 Telecaster - even refinished - to be around $12k - $16K.

14. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

So is this a consignment piece?

15. peanutavalon

no..he traded it in on a 56 strat

16. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

For a brief moment I considered grabbing it, but then I though about all the BS I'd get if I ever wanted to sell it. "Yeah, but its really a partscaster" Etc. ad naseum. I kinda done with moving "vintage" pieces.

Mayo5, slowerhand and Bobby D like this.
  17. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I sold an all original parts '52 Tele refin neck and body a few years ago for $13.5.

18. Drew816

Even as a Partsocaster that’s a fair deal with certificates from Gruhn stating its legacy and info. Original electronics, all the work done that needs to be done and ready to rock. If this were someone’s dream guitar I don’t know why they’d want to sell later...

Im sure you could find a early 50’s Partsocaster for less, but would it be the real deal vs one coming from Gruhns?

19. peanutavalon

The way I see it is if it was that great why isn't it sold yet? There are a million guitar players who are not jumping on this for a reason. And there are thousands in Nashville who are not either...I wonder whats holding people back?

20. Drew816

It won’t be there long, have no fear... And it’s the same reason many high dollar guitars sit around, there’s a limited audience with this kind of money at their disposal let alone this market is deflating (and people know it).

If it plays well and sounds good and you were in the market it would certainly be something to consider. Just my opinion...

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

NewLeaf09 and slowerhand like this.