53 tele price check

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by peanutavalon, Dec 18, 2017.

1. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I would think this would sell asap at that price. It makes me think that guys who have it in hand pass on it. You know Gruhns has a list of people they can easily sell stuff like this to in that area. But I do agree that the price is great. Makes it tempting for me to check out. But I would have to play it and check it myself.

2. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Wouldnt a 52 neck go for $8k or more alone? Even refin. And this has a slight flame.

The bridge pickup is worth $1500 and neck maybe the same.

Imagine that the guy who traded it in knew a bunch of people that passed to right? And he probably is taking a hit on the trade price. Just seems strange to me.

3. peanutavalon

peanutavalon Supporting Member

I'm very tempted too but I think I'd have to play it in person first and then realize that I probably shouldn't drop 10k..i think this is whats happening..maybe its a dud..

Bobby D likes this.
  4. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i would not buy that one UNLESS i played it and it "spoke" to me as a player. like buddyboy says, it would be tough to get your $$$ back out of that one. however, if it's a good player, then it's a steal.....and i am glad that "player" pieces like that still exist, as opposed to the glorified "baseball cards" that the Guitar Aficionado demographic collects.....

lousyatit likes this.
  5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

for $10k, it's worth getting a plane ticket to Nashville to go play it - and then buying an extra seat on the plane for the ride home. i would love to be able to buy a seat for my guitar when i tour :D

Mayo5 likes this.
  6. sws1

sws1 Member

'53 Teles fit in the overhead on flights from Nashville. Ask me how I know? :)

7. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I prefer the coat closet, so the jabroni in the seat ahead of me doesn't try to shove his oversize bag in on top of my gigbag - i have nearly come to blows with a guy before who was trying to RAM his bag on top of my gigbag on a flight....

8. Oatie

Oatie Member

Did they setup the guitar on a Plek machine? If so I bet it sings. Its not unusual to have body and neck dates so far apart. When they made batches of necks and bodies they bulk dated them and went to a stock pile. People would grab parts and assemble the guitars. Are they dated week/ year? It could be a Dec 52 neck and a Feb 53 body. Ask for the week and year dates on both. Even if the guitar is not sounding good, sending it to get Plek ' ed would be well worth the money on this guitar. The finish job looks good. I highly doubt this is a partscaster.

pressure likes this.
  9. slimdave

slimdave Supporting Member

Nice guitar indeed.

10. peanutavalon

true..good points here.

11. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

If that guitar is still there in April (highly unlikely) then I'll get to try it out. I'd be very tempted if it's a great sounding player, despite being on the look-out for a late pre-CBS Strat or maybe a Jr. or Special. Wish I could go there now.

Wife and I are driving to New Orleans and back to visit relatives. Will be hitting Gruhn's and Carter's on the way back. She'll no doubt be thrilled, especially since I'll already be towing my late uncle's Martin D-76 back. Love to bring back TWO old guitars instead of one! ;)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  12. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

And that was my thinking. I own a few nice sounding and playing Tele's (including one I put together!) already. If this one was a dud after I received it, it would probably sit with me as it's sitting now at Gruhn's, unless I dropped the price.

13. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

14. Drew816

Drew816 Member

Yep, no surprise there at that price. Did anyone here grab it?

15. peanutavalon

I bought it...I was given 36 hours to review and sent it back. The main reason was the weight. They said it was 6.13 lbs...turned out to be 7lbs 9oz. Said their scale was off that day. Oh well...I like em lighter. The neck felt good. Nice taper. The pickups were very dark and not twangy at all. Jazz like. The thing looked cool that was about it...Not my cup of tea. And not worth the dough for me. For someone else it might be perfect.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

WTF - An incredibly trusting person MIGHT believe that. But when you hear this excuse numerous times from various dealers, you realize it's just another salesman trick.

Vic Interceptor and lousyatit like this.
  17. peanutavalon

Yeah I was a little put off but I'll shake it off...If I ever buy another from them I'll have them check it twice...For that kind of money they should have a dead on scale.

lousyatit likes this.
  18. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

It'd be a good idea to keep this thread in mind when people are always advising to buy from a "reputable dealer". I had a much worse "are-you-kidding-me" situation buying a guitar from Elderly.
    I think sometimes, the mind set is that they figure a certain percentage of people are either going to be too clueless, lazy, or rich to bother calling out the dealer and going to the trouble of mailing back a guitar.
    "The scale was off that day" sounds like a "dog ate my homework" excuse.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Chewpa, lousyatit and Oatie like this.
  19. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

Well, it's gone. Where's the NGD post? Must be someone from around here...

20. scottcw

scottcw Silver Supporting Member

Read the whole thread.

lousyatit likes this.