• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

'54 LP Goldtop Chambered vs Regular...

fretnot

Platinum Supporting Member
They sound very different...I would try them both before deciding. Good luck in your search. :AOK

jumpnblues

They sound very different...I would try them both before deciding. Good luck in your search. :AOK

Thanks for your response. I'm not going to have the opportunity to try either...geography won't allow. Disadvantages of living in semi-rural Upper Midwest. I already have a '56 Epi Goldtop with Lollar P-90s that sounds and plays pretty killer for a Chinese made Epi. Just want to move up to the real deal, although I'm not sure it'll sound a whole lot better? I'd also like to have one of the '52 RI's but they're harder to find. Anyway, just trying to make a decision before buying down the road a piece.

Tom

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
+1

I have a chambered '58 flametop Historic and it's one of the absolute best sounding guitars in my collection. Chambered= killer tone, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

jumpnblues

It's the chambered '54 reissue.

Stop teasing me!!! That thing's gorgeous! :drool:drool:drool:drool I really appreciate your advice regarding buying sight unseen and how it might be a little safer to go chambered in that instance. Good thought.

Tom

shuie

Buying any guitar without playing it first is always tough. The Historics I've played were so hit and miss that I honestly cringe at the idea of having to buy one without playing it first. I've played dozens that did nothing for me for every one that I've ended up buying. I'm a lot more optimistic about the chambered guitars. At least they all sound pretty lively unplugged. No shock there since they are hollow. And even though they are hollowed out, most of them still weigh between 7 and 8lbs, so it's not like they feel a lot different than a Les Paul should. If I had to buy another Historic without being able to play it first I would definitely lean towards a chambered reissue.

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
It's the chambered '54 reissue.

^^^ Wow that's a beauty! ^^^

Add another vote for the chambered '54. I' haven't played a chambered P90 Les Paul, but I have two chambered '58s with humbuckers and I can say that they have better tone than any solid body Les Paul that I've played.

2004 CR8

2007 CR8

HHB

man, if you can swing that blk 54 chambered do it, thats the coolest lester I've seen in quite a while

shuie

Thanks, guys. I don't own the black R4 anymore. Another forum member has it now. Killer guitar, though.

jumpnblues

Thanks guys, for the info. I went with the chambered '54. Should come middle or late next week. I'm pumped.

Tom

gpecoulas

Platinum Supporting Member
I did not see the chambered historics on Gibson's website. Do they still make them?

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on the chambered Historic! Wonderful guitars.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
Aside from the rousing consensus of chambered being better ..... could I get a more detailed reasoning?
A tele thinline for instance sounds different that a tele in that it`s got a nice acoustic quality in the way the note decays with more varied nuance instead of a straight long fundamental tone of a solid tele ...BUT I get frustrated with my thinline tele because it lacks that strong mid punch and bite that cuts through a loud drummer .

I realize this LP is a totally different beast ... But is there any similar kind of "down side" to the chambered Les Paul ?

Any naysayers out there who prefer the solid LP and for what reason?

I`d lean towards the chambered but since I`ve never compared them I`d love to hear some more details.

BTW ... that black R4 is contagious !!

Bluedawg

Was this the cause of the big dust up between Dave's and gibson? I lived out there (for a minute!), and frequented Dave's. All of the sudden one day he wasn't a gibson dealer any more.

Gibson's minimum purchase amount skyrocketed putting Gibson's dealer requirements outside the reach of most of their smaller dealers. The no internet pictures policy was part of the deal also. Only 3 dealers were allowed to post pics of their stock on the internet.

All that and maybe more happened and then Dave's dropped their dealership .. Music Machine's Gibson dealership moved to Guitarsale (now part of MF's Private Reserve). Only Wildwood kept their dealership.

Before that the internet was full of Gibson eye candy. It was wonderful and probably good for Gibson's sales, .. but Henry J didn't like it.

Dave's is back on as a Gibson dealer now.

Silly stuff ...

If you dig there are some posts on it here from the 2004-2005 time frame and over at www.lespaulforum.com

:BITCH

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Topics