'54 Telecaster Pickup Cover

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by bluejaybill, Aug 4, 2018.

1. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Member

I have a '54 telecaster. The rhythm pickup was DOA when I got it, so years ago I had Lindy Fralin rewind it.

It sounds very good, and original, but like most of that era, quite dark and dull. When I had it out, I noticed that it weighed like three pounds- the durn cover must be solid brass with nickel plating.

I have had later telecasters, including a '61 Custom Telecaster, and the rhythm pickup was much lighter, and in fact sounded quite a bit clearer. I had a replica (Fralin vintage style) rhythm pickup in there while Lindy did the rewind, and it too sounded clearer.

So this got me wondering about whether switching to a lighter pickup cover would make for a clearer sound, a bit more usable like a strat (or later telecaster) rhythm pickup. My question is, has anyone ever had the cover of one of the early telecasters and heard how it sounded either with a lighter cover or no cover at all?

PLEASE, I don't want to debate whether this is a good idea from an originality standpoint etc, the cover comes right off and would remain in the case with the guitar. Just wondering if this change might expand the usability of the pickup.

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Ask Lindy Fralin. He would know better than most.

GuitarsFromMars and RhytmEarl like this.
  3. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

Take the cover off. I'm pretty sure Lindy Fralin recommended that to me once. Can't hurt anything.

4. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Sorry I have to ask what might be perceived as a dumb question.

Do you have the original wiring scheme on that guitar? When the switch is in the neck position there's a 'dull cap' on the neck pickup that rolls all the treble off.

5. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

My Tele (60 custom) is wired like a les Paul... neck pickup sounds very Strat like. How is yours wired?

6. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

I thought that until the moment the high e string slid under the pickup because there was no cover and Lindy was rewinding it again.

RhytmEarl likes this.
  7. hogy

hogy Member

If you want a neck pickup that sounds like a Strat's, the easiest way to get there is to play a Strat.

A Tele neck pickup is different, and super cool. Check out that latest Norm's Guitars video on Billy Gibbon's Broadcaster that everybody is reposting. Thank god that thing doesn't sound like a Strat.

The actual weight difference between different generations of Telecaster neck pickup covers is minuscule. Certainly not enough to easily feel in an assembled pickup. They are all nickel plated brass. Not sure what's going on with the pickup that feels noticeably heavier. Maybe it's not original?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    man_mars likes this.
  8. BrianM

BrianM Member

Wow, that '50 Broadcaster sounded ungodly good!

9. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Member

Yes, I know. It has contemporary wiring, and that dark cap has been removed.

RhytmEarl likes this.
  10. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Member

Yes, modern wiring. My '61 custom was clearer sounding than this one. That's what made me wonder if it was the cover.

Don't get me wrong, the pickup sounds very good, nice and fat, just lacking a bit of top end.

11. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Member

Well, I have and have had nice vintage strats too. And several old telecasters. Not looking for a strat tone, just a bit cleaner sound if possible.

Lindy Fralin confirmed that both pickups were original. So it's not that.

I'll check out that video. BTW the pickup sounds very good, and it is fun to play jazz on. I guess I was just wondering because the cover seems so heavy. It seemed to me that my other telecaster rhythm pickups were not as hefty.

12. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Believe the earlier ones were heavier and different metal, perhaps someone smarter than me like @hogy has the answer?
    I look to him for all things vintage. :D

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

How is it wired like a Les Paul?

14. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

Forward position is the front pickup, middle position is both pickups and back position is the bridge.

2HBStrat likes this.
  15. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Member

To update, I contemplated taking the cover off, but noticed that the pickup was low. I seem to remember lowering it to balance with the lead pickup, which is now closer too.

When I brought it up close to the strings, it came to life. Still fat, but with enough bite when you dig in.

I think the pickup needs to be pretty close to compensate for the heavy cover. Maybe that’s true of all telecasters, not sure.

Sounds great now, and thanks to all!

Ps great thing about telecasters, the6 are so simple that it’s relatively easy to solve problems!

16. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

A nickel silver tele neck PU cover will be more transparent and let more high end come through than a chrome plated brass cover.

17. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Member

That's was kind of my thinking when I started the thread. For now it is much improved by being closer to the strings.