• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

'55 Strat, this may be The One

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
This old Strat is turning me into a one guitar guy. Just kidding, of course. :)

The stock pickup selector is acting up now. Middle pickup cut out several times on the gig yesterday. My heart about stopped, that middle pickup is the best I've ever heard on a Strat. Took a minute to figure out in the heat of battle that the switch has become intermittent, and the pickup wasn't going bad.

Going in today to sort out that switch.

Gratuitous picture:

riscado

This new '55 is upsetting the apple cart. I think it sounds better than all of them. I need some real life gigs with it to be sure, but at home it's pretty clear.

The '56 on the right has been with me for decades and I have never played another Strat that sounded better. That era might be coming to an end...

really interesting there because each one of those bodies is made of a completely different kind of wood.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Texas guitar. 1955.
60 something year old guy sold it to a dealer friend of mine. His father’s guitar.
It came with a ‘55 Pro Amp and a ‘56 Musicmaster guitar the dad bought for his son. It’s just as beat. They must have jammed a bunch.

Couldn’t swing the whole package, sadly. Wish it all could have stayed together.

Nobody knows where Buddy Holly's original Strat is. Maybe you got it.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
Tat looks a little like Buddy Holly's stolen strat after many years of playing. Ya never know! The sn for the Holly strat is not known.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
Tat looks a little like Buddy Holly's stolen strat after many years of playing. Ya never know! The sn for the Holly strat is not known.

If anyone would know anything about Buddy Holly’s guitars, it would be journalist / writer / player / historian John Thomas. He did a project working with Buddy’s widow Maria Elena to create tribute J-45s based on Buddy’s with his self-made leather cover.

Here is a long thread on the Acoustic Guitar Forum started by one of the builders of the modern J-45s, Howard Klepper, which John posts to: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226726

And Thomas has written about Buddy’s Goldtop Les Paul:

crosse79

Silver Supporting Member
I really haven't had a chance to record anything meaningful yet. Here's a clip from a horrible restaurant gig where we had to play so quietly the drummer had to used electronic drums.

I will get something better up soon.

Very sweet. Warm and rounded tone. What amp were you using?

crosse79

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks!

'59 Tweed Super with the volume on "2", with a tiny bit of hair from a Vemuram Shanks 4k, and an El Capistan.

Nice. Great pedal selections as well - nothing complicated and that's just the way it should be. Bought El-cap, sold it off for a Timeline (overkill), bought back an El-Cap. The reverb & trem on a Flint is really nice (especially when dialed in subtly) - such an underrated pedal.

slavenoid

Silver Supporting Member
I really haven't had a chance to record anything meaningful yet. Here's a clip from a horrible restaurant gig where we had to play so quietly the drummer had to used electronic drums.

I will get something better up soon.

cant imagine a much better sound than that!

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
This guitar continues to blow my mind.

Gigs are picking up again, and I find myself wanting to bring just this guitar anymore. Yesterday's gig was the first with my recently acquired 1959 Gibson GA-200 Rhythm King amp, and that amp is shaping up to be my favorite 1950s tube amp of all time. It makes this Strat sound fat, yet clear, with the perfect balance of frequencies and just the right amount of breakup for my liking.

I picked this amp up on a whim from a link in a thread on this forum, didn't really expect it to sound the way it does.

Anyway, couple of gratuitous gig rig shots.

EOtYGm0.jpg

bvbHAPV.jpg

slimdave

This guitar continues to blow my mind.

Gigs are picking up again, and I find myself wanting to bring just this guitar anymore. Yesterday's gig was the first with my recently acquired 1959 Gibson GA-200 Rhythm King amp, and that amp is shaping up to be my favorite 1950s tube amp of all time. It makes this Strat sound fat, yet clear, with the perfect balance of frequencies and just the right amount of breakup for my liking.

I picked this amp up on a whim from a link in a thread on this forum, didn't really expect it to sound the way it does.

Anyway, couple of gratuitous gig rig shots.

EOtYGm0.jpg

bvbHAPV.jpg

Man, this old strat just kills me......

Trending Topics

Top Bottom