Sold '55 Telecaster Clone - Custom Build - Premium Parts - Featherweight

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
No expense was spared on this tribute to the rare-as-hen's-teeth late '54 early '55 Telecaster that Fender offered in two tone brown sunburst with single layer white 'guard. This is not a Fender guitar but a clone using all the best parts and painstaking attention to detail. This was a dedicated and purposeful project that exceeded expectations and a real keeper for me, but I have a chance to acquire a vintage guitar so I am reluctantly listing some things for sale.

Very lightweight swamp ash body (3lb 6oz) with all correct routes, contours and radii finished in a perfect two tone nitro sunburst by Guitar Mill. Most two tone bursts are the black and yellow color (which I am not a fan of) but I sent many emails and photos to Mario to make sure he understood the dark brown to golden amber color I wanted as seen on the very few original mid 50's sunburst Teles that exist. He absolutely nailed it.

I also sent him my one piece figured, lightly roasted maple Musikraft neck (Chunky C, 9.5 radius, 6105's) and he also nailed the correct golden amber mid 50's tint. He doesn't use plasticizers in his nitro so both the body and neck now have real weather checking. There was some light, tasteful relic work done as well as real playing wear from the 10 years or so I have owned this that gives it a real vintage vibe.

The hardware is all Fender vintage spec with a Ron Kirn neck plate with correct for the era 4 digit serial number.

The bridge PU is a Don Mare Joel Foy flatpole that sounds ridiculous. Don Mare has cracked the code when it comes to vintage spec Tele PU's. The neck PU is a 12K Violetta with nickel silver cover. It is well balanced in output to the Joel Foy and has enough top end response to sound clear and airy, not dull and muddy like so many Tele neck PU's. Don Mare was kind enough to give me one of his prized NOS 50's orange ceramic disc tone caps. There are a ton of killer tones in this guitar using the 3 way switch and the volume and tone knobs. Never shrill or ice picky, this tele has some muscle yet it maintains that openness, clarity and definition you don't always get with a hotter wound bridge PU. Piano string-like definition to the wound strings, even on the neck PU.

Correct 50's style flattop, dome knobs, pat pending bridge plate with Wilkenson compensated brass saddles (an original would have steel saddles but I like the sound of these better) USA made 3 way switch (the stem of which is oxidized) with an original 50's Dakaware Bakelite switch tip. CTS pots, all cloth wiring, pro soldered.

So, in summary: a big, fat, roasted, blister maple neck, featherweight ash body, the best boutique pickups available and perfect old-school nitro finish. Forgive the hyperbole, but this guitar looks, plays, feels and sounds as good as any Custom Shop or MasterBuilt Tele.

If I sell something else first this one will quickly come off the market.

$1595 *SOLD* pending payment

No case. I can include a Fender tweed case for an extra $125

It looks pretty cool with a black Bakelite 'guard too

Last edited:

magilla

michaelggguitar (IG)
Platinum Supporting Member
Wowza. This man not only has amazing taste in gear, but is terrific to deal with and has a tremendous depth of knowledge. Whomever is fortunate enough to grab this absolute gem and steal of a Tele will be in for a real treat - I'm envious of the feeling you'll have the second you unbox this and then give it a strum. I recently picked up a CS Nocaster but am definitely drooling here ... GLWTS, Rossi ... you may be hearing from me!

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
You sir, have impeccable taste :D

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated. It's probably a good thing I can't afford to keep everything and still buy more or I would have storage units full of guitars and amps. That would be horrible, right?

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! Nut width? Depth at 1st fret?

Thanks.
Thank you for your interest. The width at nut is 1 11/16" and it is their chunky C profile which is .90 at the 1st fret and .99 at the 12th. It's big and wonderful, but not obscenely fat or it would be unplayable for me and this thing fits like a glove.

Last edited:

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Thank you for your interest. The width at nut is 1 11/16" and it is their chunky C profile which is .90 at the 1st fret and .99 at the 12th. It's big and wonderful, but not obscenely fat or it would be unplayable for me and this thing fits like a glove.
That is a great carve. I have a Musikraft neck with the same frets, nut width, just a little fatter. Fantastic.

neastguy

thats tempting but the size of the neck scares the heck out of me... gotta ask.. so what is the finished weight of the guitar?

Trending Topics