'56 light relic CS vs Grosh Classic S

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zimmer, Feb 3, 2008.

1. zimmer

zimmer Member

I'm not that familiar with the Grosh, but I did drive 80 miles to try an alder-bodied relic '56 CS strat. The neck on the Fender was very nice, and the the guitar was enjoyable overall. I'm not consumed by GAS, but I'd like to try other '56s, as soon as I can swing it.

In the same rough price range falls a Grosh Classic S.

Has anyone played both? There's some good threads in the Small Luthiers forum, but I'd appreciate opinions from anyone who might have had a chance to play an ash '56 or this model Grosh.

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

For me it was the 56' strat hands down. Thats just me $0.02. I just picked one up a couple of months ago at Dave's. 9.5 radius neck, med/jumbo frets and the neck plays like butta. Very light relic that I picked over 15-20 various custom shop strats. Also liked the alder over the ash. Good luck in finding a good un!

3. zimmer

zimmer Member

Yep, there are several at Dave's that look like they might fill the bill. I could even tell you the stock numbers that are calling to me.

But there's this Grosh that I might have to visit later this week. Really pretty wood and neck, and it's turned my head from the Dave's offerings.

If the '56 I played was typical, there's good pickings to be had. I just wasn't into the heavy relic look of that particular one.

4. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I've owned both....a CS from Fat Sounds and a Retro Classic from Don...... Retro Classic HANDS DOWN!!!!!!:dude

5. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've got a local dealer that stocks both Grosh, and custom shop fender.

The Grosh are nice, and definitely prettier, but I really thought the fenders were better players. These were 60's, not 56's.

You're really probably fine either way.

6. zimmer

zimmer Member

The Grosh gets the vote from my night shift co-workers based on looks alone.